Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

To all the scotch drinkers...

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by mendosi, Aug 13, 2012.

1. ... what Scotch do you like?

I'm keen on Glenfiddich 15yo but interested in recommendations (because there are a hundred products on the shelf and I'm not rich enough to try them all).
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344851583.913115.

2. Looks like what I got my Grandmother for Christmas.

3. I drink Johnny Red with soda, as a minimum.
    I'm currently awaiting delivery of 2 bottles of "Talisker 57 degrees North", which I understand is a heavy drop.
    "Regular" Talisker would have to be my favourite...

4. That is my regular scotch as well, my advice, get your self a bottle of the Rich oak.

5. I'm a big fan of Dimple. Bought a litre bottle of 15 year old when I went to Bali in June and only just finished it, along with the bottle of 12 year old. Also, Chivas is quite splendid. Wouldn't touch any Walker unless someone offers or you get a good price, anything above red is priced too high for what it is. Blue label is essentially a 90-100$ scotch.

6. There is a whisky thread here already somewhere. I am more a rum drinker, always have a bottle of pussers 15year old handy. I drink it neat, no ice, no water.

However, I also do have a soft spot for the finer scotches, and this may not necessarily mean a single malt. The Japanese do some really, REALLY fuggin good blended "scotches". I say scotch, cause the jap whiskeys are a lot like scottish whiskeys and are often referred to as scotch.

I have here in my possession a fine bottle of ardbeg alligator. Not for the faint hearted. I don't know what I like about it, but the nose reminds me of something when I was younger, I cant put my finger on it.

Any way, if you drink that Glenfiddich 15yo with anything but water or ice, I will track you down and kill you!! IT would be sacrilege.

7. Try the Macallan. That's my favourite.

8. +1 (y)

9.  Top
  10. Ask Brownny. He's currently in Scotland for an unspecified amount of time, researching all things Scotch. He'd give you a few pointers for sure.
    Believe he works in a bar occasionally to give him something to do, other than have a bucket load of fun!

11.  Top
  12. There's so many tasty scotches out there. Ardbeg, Caol Ila, Laphroig, Talisker, Dalwhinney, sooo many tasty drops.

My tips, next time you're in an international airport, take advantage of the free tastings. And get yourself a Glencairn glass!! It might not look like your idea of a scotch glass, but believe me, it makes any scotch taste like its a step up from where it actually is. And one to two drops of water is all you want to put in there, any more is a sin [-X

13. hmm... I'm sure brownyy would have no issue with me reposting this.

14. Good tip; I hadn't seen those. I'm going to check out the local Dan Murphy's now.

15. I had a nip of Johnny Walker Double Black going through duty free, seemed quite nice.

16. was at Dan Murphy's earlier, a doz johhny red 700 ml for $158.97 or something like that.
    I got given a bottle of Chivas 18 year or 25 year old, got a couple of sips in before my older son found it, who of course gladly shared it with his mates grrr

17. Tut Tut, Leave the Red Label around and hide the Chivas. ;)

At least your son has reasonable taste.

18. Dimple and chivas, I don't use ice it waters the drink. I use scotch rocks, they are some rock things you keep in the freeze and drop in ya drink, give um a wash and back to the freeze. Ya can get um at the bottle shop. They are brilliant.

19. Try the Jura Superstition - it's quite a bit fuller than the glenfiddich 15 but it's still smooth and doesn't try to molest you on the way down like some island malts do.

(Which is not a criticism, I love island malts - like drinking a campfire :D )

20. Ah yes :) a perfect definition. You have to be in the mood for the Islays. A Laphroaig or a Caol Ila would be my pick. Whereas other whiskeys caress the Islays say "I'l ave yoo Laddie"