Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tire Pressures with Luggage

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by DrSlug, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Got a new bag for the back of the across today, heading out for a ride for a few days ( not sure where yet ), just wondering if i should be changing my pressures when having a load on. I only wonder this cause of the difference with having solo or passenger on board makes a huge difference in the pressures written in my manual.

2. All depends on how much weight your carrying , also you may need to adjust the suspension preload, unless your trying to catch rossie, don't threak out too much over tyre presures. Your bike manual should give you a rough guide, but don't worry about changing things too much, unless your going for a long run. If you adjusted your tyres as much as people suggest for various environments , you'd never get to ride.

3. Dr ignore the above he rides a sleigh and knows little of the Across!
    With my old Across i ran 42 front and rear solo and loaded, thats with the Arrowmax. Going by others on the twincam forum the lesser Battleaxe also didn't require a pressure change.
    As for the suspension well your rear shock should be on about 6 by now if not load her up then try 6 unless she's new then 5 should be right.
    The main difference weight makes is in breaking and accelerating and sweet frog all elsewhere.

4. Ah cool, didnt even think of the suspension :p, will read up about adjusting that tomorrow and then trying out a few different settings in the trusty old carpark :D

5. Especially important to get the tyre pressures right on fast/long rides as if the tyres warm up too much due to under inflation and you fang it for a thousand kays in a day, they'll often wear out unevenly (ie flatspots). Too much pressure can be unsafe too, have to find the right balance.

I got a dirty big flatspot riding from brissy coz my rear pressure was about 4-5 psi too low for the dead straight 130kph average speed riding for 800kms a day.

6. You forgot cornering charaicteristics , depending on high or uneven the load is
    I may ride a sleigh , but I know how a bike goes
    :LOL:

7. where talking about Across's where they usually have 30kg of rubbish in there boot, pillion/bags/tank bags dont affect the Across as they do most other bikes.