Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tire Pressure

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by sheeped, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Hello, long time lurker and first time poster.

Today i went to check my tire pressure as I've had my bike for almost a week, thought they might be a little flat as I've done about 800km or so! Anyway, I looked on the swing arm and it said 29 front and 29 back.
    I set the meter and was amazed to find the rear tyre was already at 30 so I let it go down to 29. But more worryingly the front tyre was already at 33 psi, I let that go back to down to 29 too...

Anyway, from what I've read, 29 psi front and back seems too low and my tires feel a little flat now. But it has to be better than 33 front and 30 rear right?
  2. Those pressures are normally quoted for cold tyres but yeah, 29 does seem a little on the low side.
  3. Dunno, my VTR250 is 29 front 32 back. I've never felt the need to fiddle with it. It only weights 150kg though so maybe that has something to do with it.
  4. I tire when under pressure too.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I have 36 in the front and 38 for rear. I had lower pressure in my previous tyres and they wore down badly and became very scalloped, felt like the rear tyre was sliding everywhere as a result. No problems with the new ones with more pressure, but maybe all bike tyres are different?
  6. If you actually bought some tYres then you would not have any problems, tires get tiring.

But seriously bad spelling aside, what sort of bike is it and what tyre sizes are on your wheels?
    29 is too low for standard bike tyres so I'm assuming skinny tyres on a smallish bike?
    Lower pressures are invariably worse than higher pressures.
  7. I had 42 and 41 for mine.........WTF.

Lowered it down to 34 and theres a very noticeable difference, in some areas where it feels better (more comfy) but in others not as good (not turn in as quickly).......

I dont trust those petrol station pumps anymore especially those non digital ones.......

Get those Moroso guages.......works a treat and very accurate.
  8. horse for courses as smee mentions above, RTFM Read The Friggin Manual [thought I'd tidy that up] :)
  9. Tyre pressures should be taken when cold so not after you have been riding the bike for any distance. Start with the recommended figures and then modify them to suit your riding style or the type of roads you ride on. If you have after market tyres the pressures may be different than what is printed in your manual or on the swing arm.

Note most tyre warranty claims are due to under inflation by the rider.

Lower pressures:
    • Increase contact patch with the road
    • Increase Grip in corners.
    • Decrease load carrying capacity
    • Decrease straight line stability

Higher Pressures:
    • Improve straight line stability
    • Improve front end precision and turn in.
    • Improve load carrying capacity.
    • Decrease Corner grip

Data base of Standard Bike Tyre Pressures
  10. Thanks guys! My bikes a kawasaki balius 92 so no manual :( 17 inch front and back, i rode about 30 seconds up the street to the servo so the tires didnt have much time to warm up. the bike is definately turning in alot slower and the rear seems to have less grip now :S
  11. You need 32 front and 34 rear then and you will see the difference.
  12. Lower pressures are only really suited for a racetrack where ultra high speeds means they warm up considerably.
    On a normal road lower pressures don't necessarily mean better side grip.
  13. THANKS SMEE! 32 and 34, it handles 100 times better now :)
  14. I run 34-35 PSI front and 38 rear. It's VERY noticeable when the front is below 30 when warmed up, I find the front 'pushes' away and just feels very bad. Bump the pressure back up and feels much better.
  15. Depends on the manufacturer specifications. My KTM 990 SMT indicated 31-32 psi both front and rear.
  16. And remember whatever you run always have higher pressure in the rear than the front. You don't want the rear to 'out grip' the front.
  17. I've a question about pressures too after reading this.
    my k7 gsxr750 tyre placcard recommends 36f and 41r. And thats what I put.
    Is this a little excessive?
    Stock tyres were the bridgestone bt014 now Ive got mich pilot pures if that helps.
  18. No problem at all.
    I run 38 front 40 rear on my bimmer which has the telelever suspension at front and is a heavier bike than yours.
  19. That's interesting. Manufacturers rec for my 950SM is 34-34 (same as the Superduke). Pirelli, on the other hand, recommend 36-41 for all these bikes on the OE rubber. I think that may be a tyre industry standardised response though, so I don't take it seriously.

Some manufacturer's recommendations I've seen are downright wacky. I think you've got to go beyond them and experiment a little to find the right level for your bike/tyre combination, your weight and your riding style.

Messy, Michy Pures are a little bit prone to overheating so a bit more pressure probably wouldn't hurt.
  20. Try 34 front and 38 rear, mate. Ya may not notice much difference until you are pinned through a tight corner, and hanging off.