Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tips to help us before you post

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by typhoon, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Bear with me mods, I think this is the best place to put this. However, move it if you must, or maybe duplicate it.
    If you are not planning on doing your own repairs or diagnosing a problem on your bike, please don't ask for advice on what is wrong. It is just a giant time waster for many people. We hate being asked about a problem, having 10 posts back and forth discussing it, then having "oh yeah, the battery is 300 years old" or "yeah, bike is at mechanics now"dropped on us!
    If you want an estimate on price, you should have asked for one before you dropped it off to the mechanics. There are too many variables and we are just guessing without seeing the bike!
    If you can't describe a problem better than "bike just dies" then don't bother, no one will be able to give you anything like a half decent answer!
    If you really want to get a good answer, include as much information as you can:
    Bike model.
    Age.
    Kilometers.
    All variables at time problem happened-time of day, air temp, weather, traffic, speed, fuel in tank etc. Every little thing may help.
    Any previous mechanical problems the bike had, or things you may have done to contribute (be honest, everyone is dumb sometimes!)
    Service history.
    We want to help, but you must help too! If you are really serious about fixing it yourself, we may ask you to do more testing, and that may take a little while, so please be patient!
    And please put any mechanical help posts in Technical and Troubleshooting! :cool:

Regards, Andrew.

2. Great idea Andrew but we're under no obligation to help anyone and if people cant help themselves a little by providing some basic info I usually ignore the post.
    If others want to jump in and wast bytes and time its up to them.

My 2c worth.

3.  Top
  4. Yup some very good points there Andrew :) I've made it a sticky as a general help to all :)

Dom those to links are a good base to start any trouble shooting, and help posters to ask more relevant questions :)

Also just a reminder about the T&Cs and the Disclaimer