Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tips on privately selling your bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by itsartdammit, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Hey guys, am just about to sell my first bike before i upgrade and wondered if anyone had some good tips for selling the bike. not so much as in preparations/cleaning but more for dealing with the buyer, allowing test rides, ensuring the buyer comes back from the test ride, etc.
    Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

- J
  2. Its been done to death mate. Do a search.
    My main rule is no test rides unless the deal is done and payment made (subject to a test)
    Bikes are easier than cars to check out and a test should only be required to confirm that the bike is for them.
    Any doubts and a ride wont change their mind particularly if a learner is doing the test riding.

Also consider doing it all in a public place away from your other prized possessions.
  3. Always have an offsider nearby. Never know who will rock up to your home.

With test rides I would at the very least want the rider to produce enough cash to cover the insurance excess and lic details beforehand.

Dealing with the buyer - be polite and answer questions when asked. Have service logs / reciepts etc onhand.

Don't try and be their best friend and don't talk too much. 'The one who talks the most loses the most' is quite often true when negotiating.

If you're trying to work out what the bikes worth ring around other sellers and see what they're asking and what other examples sold for. Online estimates are useful but often not accurate.

Good luck.