Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tips on going 250 to 650

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Josheos, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Currently own a vtr250 but have my rs now and looking at an sv650, never been on a bigger bike really before, just wanting to know the differences, my 250 is too forgiving. I'm getting a bit nervous about emergency braking etc and more so just what you change when upgradging bikes, differences in technique

2. Typically a bigger bike will have better, more responsive clutch, brakes and so on, but the VTR is pretty decent in those respects.

There's not a huge amount of difference. The seat height on the SV will be slightly taller, and the bike slightly heavier, so keeping it upright while maneuvering around at walking pace will be more important.

In terms of power, it's really just common sense - only go harder to the extent that you feel safe. Maybe keep a little more of an eye on the speedo, particularly going into corners, for the first while, because you'll likely be going faster than you think you are.

All the best with it, and enjoy!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. All the stuff about 'set up and squeeze' for braking is more important, and the extra height can make it a bit more daunting, but the key is to practice in safe environs until you're confident.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. I think more than anything else, mentally slow "yourself" down and make sure you're staying ahead of the bike. We call it 'situational awareness' in anaesthesia; to borrow a term from aviation. ;)

In terms of physically riding the bike: while I don't have any experience on the SV650, in general being smooth is good -- smooth on the throttle, brakes, clutch, everything. Have fun, but let common sense prevail!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The main thing is leaving plenty of space and not letting the bike control or get ahead of you.
    Unlike a 250 you can't just twist full power on half way through a corner or chop the throttle if the back starts to slip.

Like with any new bike find a large empty carpark and practice your figure 8's, swerves and emergency braking before you need to rely on them on the road.
    You'll warm up to the larger bike in a few days and never look back.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ha I am probably the last person who should comment but what the hell...
    When you get the bike, go somewhere quiet, sit on the bike and get used to where all the equipment is...indicators, horn, high low beam etc..oh and the bloody sidestand is important as well.
    Then practice slow slow riding, learning where the friction point is, how your rear brake behaves and get to know your throttle. Don't inderestimate the importance of doing this. Then try some slow braking and work up.
    Ride on familiar roads to begin with and be gentle with the throttle and on yourself until you are in a position to umm experiment. There will be some wtf am I doing moments potentially...but try and let them go.
    I practice my slow riding everytime I go out on Zeddee and to date (fingers crossed) I have had no problems with tight uturns.
    I upgraded from a ninja 300 to a z1000 after only having ridden for 15.5 months and having never ridden prior to that. Had Zeddee for not quite a month and we are both a work in progress but I am on him every day. And believe me JosheosJosheos if I can do it at 54.75 yrs absolutely anyone can.
    Just try to do some rides you enjoyed on your other bike first up. It helps. :)
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. The SV has a V-twin engine, just like your VTR, so you'll recognise similar characteristics.

V-twins are typically happy to run at low revs, but can be revved as well.

I've recently ridden a couple of Wee-Stroms with the SV engine and it feels quite different to my 500 parallel twin.

You'll soon get used to the luxury of the power increase but may miss the lightweight of the Honda during low speed riding, such as driveways and car parks.
  8. I did a very similar transition. From the Honda Spada, to the V-strom 650. Don't fret over it, sure you need to be a little smoother on the power. But like any bike, ride it as smooth as you can, no secret in that.

You will enjoy the bike, great engine that is fun for public roads.
  9. Ha, that's not what my KTM 990 said, it's a snatchy pig at low revs and throttle openings.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. But back on topic, the SV650 is skinny and well regarded, a fine step up from your VTR.
  11. When I first rode a 600 after being on a 250 for a few years my first thoughts were "You pricks" as I found it much easier to ride!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. I went from not owning and riding a bike for 7yrs and I bought my gsxr 750 and never look back .

It's all in the wrist if you don't have self control and ability to withhold from urges to go 250kmh everywhere .
    Then don't get a bigger bike.

You can go straight from a 250 to a 1300cc if you want to no problem at all .
    If you can't do the above then don't bother!
  13. Commenting on this post as this is gonna be my life in about 12 months.

And had to chuckle OldmaidOldmaid, 54.75 sounds WAY better than nearly 55
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. A couple of months ago I (at age 62) progressed from a CB250 to a GSX750F. The first ride felt very different, but I quickly got used to things and realised that the bigger bike is in fact easier to ride in most circumstances. Even slow speed stability is better, although it won't (or I can't) turn it as sharply. I'm now about 2500 km down the track with this bike and couldn't be happier with it, although it goes without saying that I still have a lot to learn. Just take things nice and easy until you start to feel that you belong on the bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I came to my 06' SV650 from a GS500 in mid 08. Have had a no of 2nd bikes since - a '10 Z750 2011-12, SV1000 in 2012-14, and 2014-current MT-09.

Toyed with the idea of selling my SV (difficult to justify to the missus paying rego on 2 bikes!), but I just value the bike more than the paltry $ any sale would garner!

Moving from a 250 twin to 650 twin, it will all feel very natural. The only major drawback on the SV (which model are you after - "curvy" pre-03, carb-fed, or "pointy" 03-on, injector?) is the sub-standard suspension.

There is a host of discussion forums you can join to learn more. I picked up heaps from an Aust SV forum, but that closed down. Try OzSv.org • Portal. Or svrider, US-based.

Or even ozsv.org on Facebook.