Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tips for turning left from a stop position

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Renee_AW, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Hello,

I am having some troubles making a tight left turn from a stop position i.e. at traffic lights or stop signs.

I seem to pull out very wide, and few times I have gone into the next lane - fortunately there haven't been any other vehicles there.

Are there any tips for doing this?

2. Start out wide, lean through and start applying power. I am usually touching the rear brake if I am taking off hard to help control the power a little.
  3. Honestly, book in for some more lessons as you really need them. And you should probably stay off the road until you are confident enough to stay in your own lane. If not for your own safety, then for the person that will probably kill you when you have a head on.

Book in today and good luck!
  4. Yep it can a little awkward at first.

caution: response from a learner :p
    Keep at it and I agree extra lessons can be a good thing (I'm doing the Hart Post Learner course soon).

When you come to a stop it can feel natural to pull over to the left but that is not the best. Pull up in the right hand wheel track in your lane. This makes your turning circle wider and also discourages drivers in your lane from trying to slip past from behind.

If its tight then remember how they taught slow speed maneuvering in the pre learner? Use the rear brake, find the friction point and go slowly, feathering it while you go around.

You'll probably find as you get better that little bit of space left for the pedestrians is enough for you to get going before turning, but for now take it easy and take care.

5. Way to instill confidence :roll: It's a small riding flaw that just needs 5 mins of tweaking to correct.

If you're already stopped and are trying to take off and turn at the same time try having the bars turned left and then releasing the clutch and applying power that way. The bike will turn and start to lean as you go. remember to look as far towards where you want to go as you can.

Best of luck :)
  6. I don't see why you should have to stay off the road just because you are having trouble with one thing. Thats just silly. How can you be expected to hae everything down pat when you first start out. Maybe try going to a quiet parking lot and practicing turning left from a stop. +1 to what Dougz said. Try having the handlebars turned slightly to the left before you accelerate.
  7. You call not been able to stay in your own lane a small flaw? The best way to instill confidence is to learn from someone that knows what they are talking about and then practice, practice, practice in a controlled environment, the public roads are not a controlled environment.

If you think that having someone riding around that can't turn left in their own lane is not much of an issue then you are a moron. :roll:

Renee, seriously, if a simple task as turning is an issue then you need more lessons. Nothing to be nervous or ashamed about, it will help you in the short and long term by building confidence and teaching you road craft (something that is sadly lacking in motorcycle license testing).
  8. Well I guess lessons will fix it but before you shell out try this.

Get to a vacant car park - all the sporting fields round my way have them and they are empty through the week - maybe there's one near you.

Set yourself up in the situation that's troubing you - imagine the lane markings or if that's no good chalk it out on the tarmac.

Practice coming to a stop then making a low speed turn to the left and right - they are both essential skills.

Take it easy, look thorugh the turn not at the 'curb' as you tend to go where you're looking.

When you're happy with that move out to some neighbourhood roads and do the same.

Spend an hour or so and if you're cured after 1 go fine - if not repeat.

If there's no improvment after 3 sessions then you probably won't self correct your technique and lessons are the go.

Good luck.
  9. Just to clarify...

...I don't do this when there are other cars or not two lanes for me to turn into. I get up at 6am and go out on to quiet local roads. I am not looking to injure myself or anyone else, just after a few tips to help me out.

If I go very very slow I am okay so when there is traffic about this is what I do - I just wanted some tips for doing this a bit more in keeping with the traffic flow.

Thanks for the tips - I promise I will go somewhere quiet to practice.
  10. Excellent advice on "owning your lane", but one exception is when you're in the right-most lane and you're the first in the queue. In those instances, I would stick the bike in the left wheel track to avoid being clipped by traffic that cuts the corner when they turn right on to the street you're on.

You'd be amazed how many cages can't stay in their own lane -____-
  11. Not sure how long you have been riding Renee, but remember it will all come together with time and practice, so main thing is not to be put off.

Also good for you for recognising a problem and seekng help.

+1 to the tips here but also I am wondering if now you have recognised the fault you are psyching yourself out. Try to stay relaxed when making the turn.

It's hard to analyse what you may be doing wrong when we can't see you. So despite all the good tips here, see if you can get yourself a mentor or someone to check out what you are doing.

Good luck.
  12. go find an empty carpark or large area, basketball court etc lol. check it out first, coz often carparks have alot of oil/crap residue, from where cars park and drip shit.

get in there, and have a practice with your slow speed turning. set a cone inthe midle or something, find a rythm, and circle for a bit. try and pull it in tighter and tighter. go both directions too. once u are comfortable with tight slow speed turns, u can practice going from standstill into a tight slowspeed turn, coz u will already have the balance of the turn, its jsut getting into that position to start.

find some quiet local roads, where u can stop, and do your left turn, without traffic worrying you.

PRACTICE, and everything will come to you eventually :)
  13. Renee, unfortunately the answer is believe in yourself, grit your teeth and hold your line.

Acceleration will try to push you out wide. Be the rider you wanted to be.

Stick out your knee, lean the bike a bit and use your body to show the bike where you need it to go.
  14. Lots of good advice especially from nibor and Grey BM.

Empty car parks (getting harder to find thanks to 7 day trading)are great to practice slow riding techniques but you must master these and if it takes time so be it.

I agree that if required lessons may help but like many others here said push on slowly and I believe you will overcome your problem.

Stay safe
  15. altho this isnt really any help, i was having the same problem with a right turn, but on my way to work tonight i nailed it! just went hard and leaned hard, took perfect line and was stoked! dont think just do!
  16. Glendale carpark is calling! go out there at 6 if your riding at that time already and youll have the place to yourself. just ride around at a comfortable speed pretending to stop, then turn to the left and right, etc. do some of the roundabouts as well. i found them tricky to pick a suitable speed at first. kept wanting to go in too hot in a too-straight line.

there was a good diagram Spots posted in another thread that illustrated what happens when you cut the corner apex too early - you run wide. Starting wide in the lane and apexing late will fix the problem, but practice :D
  17. Renee, what foot do you have have down when stationary waiting to do a left? If it's your right, try changing it to your left. With the bike leaned slightly in the direction you intend to turn, it may help you keep your line.
  18. Hello & thank you for all of the advice.

I found a great spot to practice my turns - the car park at Redhead Beach. It has divided areas which are great for simulating corners, markings on the road that look like lines & it was empty when I went down yesterday.

After about 15 mins practice I felt like I had improved already - using advice like starting with the wheel turned & keeping to the right of the lane.