Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

tips for taking blind corners

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by Floyd, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Hiya fellow riders,

I m a new rider, only 1400kms on the clock and (slowly) counting.

I would welcome some advice on taking blind corners.

There is a blind corner on my route,

http://goo.gl/maps/V2Sm7

headed west, downhill, through a rock cuttiing, limted space off either side of the road (20 cm), single lane each way, double lines, sharp 90 degree bend, possibility of fallen rocks on the side of the road.

I have experienced oncoming traffic crossing the centre line too far into my lane for my liking. Last week I had rocks on the side of the road to contend with, a car up my arse and a complete nob-head so far over the double lines all i could see was his number plate lined up to my front wheel. I was riding in the left wheel track in my lane.

I approached the corner on this occassion fairly slowly (as i was anticipiating a selfish bastard driver coming at me who could not give a $&%k to stay in their lane) .

Pretty scary for a noob like me, even though I expected this!

I pulled the line in tighter, trying not to focus on the rocks to the side of the road and he swerved almost back into his lane and his face had OMG all over it, i kept upright and didn't panick but still felt helpless.

Can some one give me advice on how to take this corner, are there any specific tips, should i use a horn???

Thanks in advance,
    Cheers Floyd.

2. Hmm, Depends a lot on where in the bend you both where. Based on your map and description, I'll assume it's a Left Hander. I would be in the right wheel track as I entered, so I could see the bastard coming sooner, giving me a little more time to make adjustments to the left wheel track as required, and another millisecond to swear at the bastard. Read some books/sites on cornering. There's also a cornering 101 primer on here somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks Gooza,
    We were crossing such that both of us passed at the actual corner itself. He had much more speed then I. I was taking the lefty.
    I started in the right wheel track and moved to the left track.
    From the point just before the sharp turn, the geometry of the road is such that it is quite hard to see around the bend until the last possble moment.
    Will search the 101 primers.
    Cheers Floyd.

4. I would personally start gently braking waaay before coming to this corner so the cars behind me don't panic brake. I would then proceed around the corner at such a speed that would be comfortable for me not to have to take evasive manoeuvres, I mean cyclists slow cars down all the time surely traffic can be patient around a single corner behind a motorbike rider. Don't worry what people behind you think just as long you make to your destination safely and if taking this corner below the speed limit is what you feel is safe to do then follow your instincts.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Slowly and on your side of the road, as far left as possible.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. I disagree entirely with "as far left as possible" Tweet. Stay in the right hand wheel track, you see further around the corner, and also be seen by oncoming traffic much earlier.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Most people are rational and won't stray all the way into the oncoming lane. It looks different when you're actually on the spot but your lane is still wider than you think.

I'd keep just right wheel track to see ahead into the bend and pull to the left wheel track if I need to.

Do not stare into oncoming traffic or the edge of the road-this is really hard to do when it's coming straight at you.

Approaching from the East there a nice long straight before the corner, an opportunity to let the impatient one's overtake so you don't get tailgated into the bend.

8. OP states this corner is a 90 deg corner, very sharp.
    By staying as far left as possible you have the least chance of meeting oncoming traffic, which is of particular advantage where the road is a narrow one.
    By riding in the right wheel track, you have further to travel to get to the far left if you need to avoid oncoming vehicles, you shouldn't be headed to the wrong side of the road if oncoming traffic is in your lane in any case.

In a 90 deg corner, you won't see much until it's right on top of you as the sight radius is short until you reach the apex of the corner, same applies to oncoming traffic.

By taking this corner slowly as far left as possible, you should also be able to stop if need be mid corner.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. TWEETTWEET my mate who has been riding for 40+ years subscribes to your way of thinking but you seem to explain it better. thankyou(y)

10. Well I have survived 25 years of road riding myself. Not all who are old are stupid ;)

It's far more likely you will have oncoming vehicles in your right hand track than in your left track, so keeping left for the really sharp corners and going slow is key.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Cornering to the left you shouldn't be on the right hand track going through the apex.

12. TWEET knows of what he talks! Listen to the man :) I have had the pleasure of riding with him on numerous occasions, and I have learnt heaps!

13. Points on both sides, as a general rule getting wider will allow you to have more forewarning but I would have to go with Tweet here. Its is such an uncontrolled situation with possible rockfall, vehicles crossing the centre line etc that left wheel track at slower speed is the lower risk approach.

14. Wide, early makes sense in terms of the visibility of the turn, but it also leaves you vulnerable to oncoming traffic "radiusing" their turn and getting on your side in the process. Slow and tight without late and rapid decreases in speed for following traffic to follow is outright safest. It is possible to anticipate the line an oncoming hoon might be taking in using the whole road to radius the turn. You want to avoid this area, or limit your exposure at least, as much as practicable. There is never any guarantee that oncoming traffic will stay within their lane.

It's easier to give a little on your line of travel than to tighten it to avoid obstacles on the road and tight simply gives you more and easier options. The key to it is your entry speed. It should be slow enough to allow for easy changes of line to avoid obstacles. Gentle acceleration through the turn provides more control than a neutral throttle and way more than braking.

Keep it smooth. Try to provide no surprises for other road users.

• Like Like x 1
  15. And you guys are still staying well left?

16. Rocks on the left is better than mobile (opposing direction) steel, glass and plastic on the right.......
    They are easier to dodge, likely not to kill you if you hit one.....but feel free to keep right ;)

17. Want some practise around Sydney doing this head out past Wisemans along the river .Everyone drives very big 4 wheelers and loves using all of the road,1 1/2 lane wide roads and plenty of gravel and no runoff.Keeping well left is smart,aggressive last minute line changes left and its not so pleasant.Starting right is OK when the road is a good 2 lanes wide,risky when its narrow.

18. #18 robsalvv, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    That's one of my "I only have a couple hours for a blatt" roads.

It's a bumpy heap of shit that if heading northish, if you're carrying any kind of pace and are tight on the bars you will run wide. Go read the 101/102/103/104 cornering series in the techniques forum.

The right answer is to slow down to a pace at which you can stop safely on YOUR side of the road in the distance you see to be clear - which at any time is the distance between your current position on and the vanishing point. You also are best suggested to take a wider entry with your vision firmly assessing the vanishing point dynamics. The wider you are (whilst still remaining on your side of the road) the sooner you will see any vehicles emerging from the vanishing point and adjust your line if you need to.

If you take a scared left wheel track line, you will reinforce a bad riding habit and reinforce the reason for the survival instinct. I cannot recommend this as a long term approach.

Practice the wider entry at nice slow speeds to start with and get used to the necessary scanning of the road surface, plotting your line and identifying the vanishing point inputs that you need to navigate that corner.

I have to admit, it's a really crap corner and tighter than it looks... but the clue about that will be in the vanishing point.

Did I mention the vanishing point?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yep and I know too well where you mean! I know it goes against the 'correct' cornering technique but there are at least 4 corners I can think of heading towards Wiseman's where I stay well over to the left for that reason of 4wd centre sitters:grumpy: I can almost pick their eye colour they come over so far into 'my' side!

20. Ok, so if that is the benefit of local knowledge, then use it to maximise your safety. I can't advocate it as a cornering technique however and if you DO use it as a cornering technique you NECESSARILY must use a lower speed since the distance you see to be clear is reduced. The blind corner also hides obstacles that may be present in the left wheel track such as rock falls, wombats, cyclists, pedestrians and fallen trees etc.

• Agree Agree x 2