Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tips for selling a bike

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Saz, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Don't have any but need some :(

Have been trying to sell the gs500 for a couple of months. No bites at all. [insert suzuki jokes]

Basics are its a 2003 - 24000km - new tyre blah blah

So i did some research on
    1) www.bikesales.com.au a great site where you can list for 10 bucks til it sell and;
    2) www.bikepoint.com.au good if you want to get into motorcycle trader but dearer and;
    3) Redbook and;
    4) listed it on bikesales, local papers and rival forum plus had it on bikepoint/ m/c trader for a month

SO at $5900 is it way too dear? Even though it is negotiable. My reason for setting it at this is that there a bikes almost exactly the same and they want 6500!!! Dealers are selling one that looks like it's a 95 or older for 5000.
    Trade-in offers suck with the best at 4500.
    SHould i drop the price to 5500 and cross everything?
    Or just trade it and lose a grand???
    Do private bike sales just take ages???

I want a faster bike NOW!!!

2. you should get what you want, its just a matter of time sometimes. defiantely try bikesales.com it does get a few people looking at it, but its main selling point is the $10 indefinate ad. i sold my bike via that.

also try www.autotrader.com.au which is the auto section of the trading post, i reckon this gets the best coverage. also give ebay a shot, when selling a car for a mate of mine, thats where i got the most bites. chuck it in with a starting price of $5500 and buy it now at $6000.

you'll get what you wawnt if you're prepared to wait. good luck with it :wink:

3. I have found that it is both slow and difficult to sell modern bikes privately, with the exceptions of 250's (in those states that have 250 learner restrictions). LAM's are possibly also easier to sell in those states that have LAM's.

Most people who want to buy a bike already own a bike (those just starting out are a notable exception, hence my comment about LAM's and 250's).

This means that most people need to get rid of thier own bike (or at least want to), before purchasing a new one.

So most of your potential buyer market is locked out of buying from you, or at least moderately inconvenienced.

Many people find it easier to just trade thier old bike in and wear the drop in value.

Cheaper, older bikes often sell reasonably easily also because they tend to be bought in my experience either as second bikes, or by people who don't already have a bike.

Sure there are people out there without bikes, who have more money to spend, but if they are newly returned to motorcycling (the so called born again bikers), then they probably have enough disposable income to afford a new bike.

If they don't then the ones I've spoken to tend to make comments indicating they are unlikely to look privately, because they have been out of motorcycling for so long they 'aren't up to speed on the new stuff'.

I read that as they'd rather the security blanket of dealing with a dealer even for second hand bikes.

Don't get me wrong, bikes will sell privately... but it's a slow process and you will not get as much as the dealers get for them.

You can get more than trade-in valuation, but perhaps not as much more as you think. If other private bike buyers are like me (poor buggers ;-) then they too are looking to save money over dealer prices for second hand bikes. After all, if one has to pay dealer prices why not buy from a dealer... you at least have some comeback if something goes wrong.

4. Private sales of ANY vehicle = patience. Dealer trade-in is convient and quick, but as you say, you'll lose a gorilla in the process.

What you COULD try is to have a figure in mind that you'd settle for the trade-in, and have the balance required (for your new bike) available IN CASH. Ride your old one down to the dealership, ask them for a trade-in price (by now they know which bike you want) - then once in, explain to them that you're ready to buy TODAY, and if they'll give you $XXX for your bike, you'll buy the other one on the spot, in cash. They may or may not come to the table.

This has worked in the past for me with buying cars - got double the trade-in value on my old XF when I bought a vacationer by doing this. Saved me time and effort in the end.

5. Good idea with the cash and trade Voyager. The dealers don't like haggling when they know you can't buy today. That's fair enough otherwise they'd get B-S all day from people.

Starting to think the 5500 is a good idea, it's over 2g less than new and it will hopefully speed up the process. PLus while 4500 was the best trade offer so far i've had as low as 4100. The dealers love the line "It's already heavily discounted". Since im now on uni hols will be pleased to lose a few hundred to get my new toy :biker:

6. Dealers haggle - its their job! :) But you can apply leverage when they see "easy commission" they'll loosen the strings on the vehicle because you're ready.

A friend of mine used to sell cars, and he always said that he got a 5% bonus commission if the sale was in cash.

7.  Top