Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tips for riding on sand

Discussion in 'Adventure/Enduro' started by lil, Nov 6, 2008.

1. I should have asked this question last week, but I learnt a lot anyway and others may have some good tips as well. We headed to Mungo NP and had our first experience on sand :shock: Pretty different to anything we'd come across before and really challenged us. I had my first off on a road ever because I didn't react the way sand needs you to react :oops:

The biggest thing for me was keeping speed up, keep the front wheel light and weight towards the rear. DON'T use the front brake at all!

Can anyone else add to/suggest better ways of riding sand?
  2. I've only encountered sand on the mountainbike - don't ever intend to do it on the motorcycle (though I have done super-deep gravel on sportsbike tyres :shock: - felt quite similar, except my Tiger's substantially more expensive than my MTB and therefore substantially scarier to ride on gravel).

Nothing to add really... Don't chop the throttle shut?

Steering is really different on deep sand. I sorta visualise it as steering a boat when mountainbiking, rather than riding... More like weighting the bike to one side and "suggesting" you want to go a particular direction, and let the bike generally steer its front wheel as it likes/needs.

If that makes sense? :shock:
  3. That's a better way to describe it than I could have managed! :LOL:

I found sand to be quite a bit different to really deep gravel. I think you have a bit more control and grip in gravel than sand. Also, sand seems to be faaaar less predictable :shock:
  4. Thankyou :oops:
  5. just dont waste energy trying to steer, you've basically got to pick a line and stick with it. Then just focus on keeping momentum up and as you say, weight off the front.

Anything too soft I just dont even bother on my Vstrom, she's just too heavy. However I do find myself on sandy tracks here in WA. Assuming the wheel ruts arent too deep then i'll stick in them, theory being the ruts are more compacted than the 'virgin' sand.

Other than that, slow gentle application of everything. Dont try and turn around on a cross slope. Always stop on a downwards slope so its easier to get going again.