Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tips for pain free riding.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by cjvfr, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Riding longer distance or as you age can lead to pain after a couple of hours in the saddle. What are peoples tips?

• ATI Physical Therapy posts this pdf on stretching exercises prior to your ride.
    • Posture, what is your posture like on the bike? Bikes are averaged out, if you are small or tall your posture to get the controls may be poor.
    • Are you putting weight on your wrists? Weight should be carried by your core muscles, maybe some Core strengthening exercises would benefit you.
    My personal bugbear is knee issues from an old non motorcycle related injury. You end up developing coping strategies. What are other people's experiences?

2. Tank grips. More stability with less effort, which means less fatigue in the legs, the core, upper body ... everywhere, really. First thing I do to every bike I own.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. out of curiosity, what's your knee issues and how has riding made it worse? if you could, would you do anything differently e.g. change posture?
    I had an acl reco 1yr ago; & started riding 6months ago. I get an ache in the knee when riding long distances... just makes me think if I should expect riding to exacerbate it etc.
  4. It's my right, so my rear brake knee. I am not sure of the nature of the injury, it was a football ( real football, Aussie Rules for those interstaters ;) ) injury many years ago. Over a days riding it locks up on me and starts to ache. That makes that leg slow to respond and has trouble bearing weight. My coping is to put my left leg or both legs down when I stop.

Riding over the years has not significantly exacerbated the issue for me but a long day's riding it is giving me more and more trouble by the end of the day. I will often drag that leg by tucking it over the footpeg to extend the knee a bit as a rest.
  5. hah, mine was initially a football for sissies injury (soccer) followed by re-injuring it playing rugby union (yes, tackle), and then it got so weak I couldn't even play touch footy without doing it.

If I'm riding a few hrs I try stretch the leg out in front of me quickly (while I'm moving), but get scared that I'll somehow touch the ground and throw myself off haha....
  6. Yup old ankle injury from playing "real footy" (old south east suburban league East Malvern) left ankle and have found I must stretch it forwards, backwards and rotate and helps with flexibility and stiffness.
    p.s. GOOO SWANNIESSSSSS !!! (y)
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Yes I do that but more commonly lean forward on the tank and trail my leg behind or stand up on the pegs but because of the bikes handlebars this tilts my head down and limits my view ahead so that's an infrequent option.
  8. This thread makes me glad I didn't play football.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. I did play premier league level (in the local comp) soccer for 16 years as well as every other sport under the sun since being a weeun, without an injury that kept me off the pitch for more than a week.
    Until this bl00dy knee went.
  10. #10 iClint, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    Everything on me hurts.

Coping mechanisms
    - Drugs
    - New bike for my touring needs
    - Frequent stops

Depending on your bike things like highway pegs (pegs mounted on engine bars or frames so you can ride with your legs stretched out) which is good for staving off knee pain.

Setting up suspension for the riding you are doing, cruising around? no need for rock hard suspension back off the damping and let the bike absorb up those bumps rather than your back.

My decision for the new Tenere was influenced by electronic suspension meaning I can cruise around on a cloud of squishiness and then firm it up for the twisty bits.

Preload should be adjusted for your weight (and any pillions or cargo) to ensure you have the best amount of suspension travel, to avoid bottoming out on the bigger bumps.

Earplugs protect your hearing and your sanity, You'll suffer much less fatigue/headache using them.

A comfy seat that evenly distributes pressure across your but, failing that sheepskin or airhawk cushion

Adjusting controls for an ergonomic fit. Posture should be slouched to help absorb bumps
    • Informative Informative x 3
  11. My clipons on my new bike, gave me cramps and pain and after 100 kays at most, I could not open my hands,
    I had to stop as it just got too dangerous to ride,
    I crank out 500 to 700 kay days, 10 hours or so on the bike, And pain is not an option for me,
    So being a recoursefull Lad, I designed a new set of risers for it, 12 inches or 300 mm higher than the normal bars, and about 4 inches or 100 mm further back,
    I now sit near bolt upright and no longer have any aches or pains whatsoever,

The road handling has improved beyond belief, It is now a sheer pleasure to ride,
    Its like riding a Goldwing on Steroids, Hahahaha

7000 Kays in the last three months, on most of Victoria's Twistiest roads, 5 times on the Mitta Mitta road, Mt Beauty to Omeo, Via Falls Creek, Down to Bruthen, 5 times over Granya, Whitfield road, Tawonga gap road, Icy creek road, Noojee to Powelltown, and a few Of my secret Backroads, and a 700 kay trip to Canberra up the Slab, and back via the Bonang hiway, round trip 1500 Kays,

I am very pleased with my improvements, I even solved the numb bum syndrome by folding my lambswool seat cover over in half, double thickness, It works,
    My dicky knee, I just have to put up with, I cant lower the pegs as my toes hit the ground occasionally, Peg feelers went a while ago, and hiway pegs are out, as there is no where on the bike to fix them too, which would have solved the problem with my knee,
    The Slow Blue Slug is pictured in my Avatar on the left,
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Here is your answer ;) _DSC0818.
  13. I tend to get a sore back eventually, as well as tiredness in the legs. I occasionally stand up for a full stretch, which I can do on the Vstrom. I also sometimes sit on the pillion seat, which changes the angle of everything. This is only on long highway rides.

I also find stopping every 45 minutes helps, even if it is only for a couple of minutes of stretching. If I go more than an hour then I find later it catches up with me. I can do 1000 K's in a day with regular breaks, but only much shorter distances with the breaks spread out beyond an hour.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Hi all....I'm new but thought I'd 'chime in'.................I've ridden a long distance kilometre or two and recall two much older Ulysses members in their 70's, upon hearing about my upcoming first ever interstate trip, telling me to pace myself out and ride for not much more than 45 min in any hour and rest for 15 minutes and continue that way. Needless to say, I nodded politely but had absolutely no intention of doing that...........stupid me. I soon discovered that the older one gets, the sooner one feels aches and pains and once they're there, they don't go away until you rest for the night. So I spent my first four days away from Brisbane in horrible discomfort and found myself alone, sore and in tears in Gundagai wondering what had I been thinking. So, the next day I took those old geezers' advice and managed a very creditable and easy 620km with hardly any pain that next day or for the rest of the trip.
    • Like Like x 5
  15. On the right bike, even us older folk can manage to swallow quite a few km in a day. If I have alot of ground to cover, I prefer to ride on, chew up the miles and get where I need to go, none of the stop every 90km for a double de-caf soi latte business.

if you are riding a bike that doesn't suit your frame well, has an uncomfortable seat etc, you pay the price for staying aboard too long. Of my 4 bikes, I can and have knocked up more than 1000km a day on 3 of them, the WR being the only one where even the thought of that makes my ass bleed!
  16. Stand up on the pegs, shake your butt and stretch.
  17. This is starting to read like a geriatric morning tea...ha! I was always taught never ask the geris how they are dear...you'll get an A4 list of ailments.
    So ask a biker on NR what part aches when they ride and ha...read on McDuff!

Having said that I am realising that starting to ride on one's fifties does focus some attention on your joints and ligaments that maybe have never seen the light of day before. My proximal interphalangeal joints ( the joints in between your knuckles and the joints before the tips of your fingers [the distal IPJ]) on my throttle hand are now aching like a biatch since my long week of riding. Not tendonitis.
    Might have to take up the piano again or knitting...na...I'm thinking squeeze ball but to be honest I think it is likely a bit of osteoarthritis rearing it's very unattractive head :(

Better get riding every moment I possibly can I think before my use by date ;)
  18. I think of my bike riding as a sport :), so l train for my up coming rides.
    As l do a bit of long distance off road riding, with a fair bit in the standing position and the concentration level at 'high' , l regularly go mountain bike riding, which helps with balance/control and line selection.
    I also regularly swim, to stretch out.
    On multiday rides, i try and go for a morning walk.

Bike selection & seating position can have a massive effect on the aches and pains. I also use an airhawk, to reduce impact on my back and butt.
  19. Aging riders doing long distant riding have 2 things going for them. Wisdom and hopefully a half descent Retirement Fund. The Retirement Fund should take care of the Bike and the Gear.
    The right Bike and Gear is such a huge topic, so I'll cut to the chase.
    You simply have to be Comfortable, full stop.
    Get a Large sit up Tourer, then change whatever it needs to make it comfortable.
    The use of a Welder and a Angle Grinder is permitted.
    Riding Gear is so important. Blood flow to your extremities can be restricted by the wrong Gear.
    I don't want to start a Manufacturers War here but I don't even look at the Dririder's, RST's etc. I only have 2 jackets now. A lite Summer Dainese mesh jacket, and a Winter Alpinestar Excursion Gore-Tex Jacket. They are both comfortable in there own way. They'll both be up for sale soon as the neck on both feels like a piece of 3mm plywood against the front of my Throat. The Velcro on the Alpinestar has damaged the base of my Helmet. Where's the testing? Didn't these faults come up before Production? It seems to be the case with Alpinestar and Dainese Gear that "if it looks good in the photos, it's ready for Production. To hell with Functionality and Comfort". I wish there was a Klim, Rukka, Sidi, or Held shop here in Melb. Don't get me wrong. It's not about the brand name for one second. It must feel right. So, a new BMW Jacket is probably on the cards for me.

Anyway, on the Wisdom section. (or the little bit I have acquired over the years)
    Farider.com or Ironbutt.com have excellent write ups on Fatigue management and avoiding unnecessary pain.

For me it's
    Remove wrinkles from underwear/pants before setting off.
    Get an Airhawk Cushion. (although I believe there's a better one made by riders in USA)
    Start out in the morning with your Winter Gear.
    Change to Summer Gear around 10am. You will feel SO REFRESHED.
    Diet is very important.
    No Fats or toxins for a day before or during the ride.
    You can eat your large meal when you get to your Destination.
    Forget the Coffee's and Chocolate.
    Have 55% of your journey done by Noon.
    Carry water so you can stop at scenic places. Don't sit.
    Then go for a very slow walk during the stop while sipping water.
    If it's blistering hot find an Aircon somewhere. Even if it's the frozen food section in a Coles or Woolys
    Let my Arms drop one by one to allow blood flow.
    Stand on the Pegs.
    Lean Arm on the Tank to prop myself.

I know my tips don't address the topic in question, but hopefully someone may find them helpful.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Do you have a photo of the 12" risers?