Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tips for long highway riding?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ShadowGT, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Hey i'm considering visting a old school friend tommorow who lives up in shepparton & i'm gonna ride the GPX 250 up there but i've never ridden that far in one go before (well double that length as i'll have to make the return trip too)

Is there any tips for riding a 250 extreme distances or just riding extreme distances in general. I'll be taking my ipod so im not bored for 3+ hours of continuous freeway riding & i'll take some bottled water, anything else i should take for the ride etc?
  2. Have a rest break for a stretch/rehydrate and take a chapstick for your lips. I find long rides on the freeway has a habit of drying them out.
  3. sheepskin seat or gel seat?

and our NR favourite- museli bars!
  4. from your place, you might want to stop at seymour for a break then jump back on..
    music, comfee seat, plastics [in case it rains] and rehydrate at stops!
  5. Oh yeah check out the Tank museum out that way It's pretty cool
  6. #6 hornet, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Set small goals.
    Stop every now and then and take a picture for "A photo from your ride".
  7. Because Pukapunyal is an active army base, you can only go in to see the museum on Sundays.

Whilst riding while listening to your iPod will make the trip easier please be careful between Wallan and Nagambie as wildlife can jump outta nowhere.
    Also on Saturdays the army boys do their BIG TRUCK driver training on the Hume, so just don't piss them off.

If you think you'll need a break around Seymour way there's a Maccas on the main street right next to BP.
  8. tip - dont fall asleep
    take water, food , tools, mobile phone and let someone know where and when your going.
  9. Take a good book, make some calls to friends, send a few emails, catch up on some paperwork or maybe do some knitting. All these things help pass the time on a long ride:)

Seriously though, look at a map and plan your trip.
    Another thing I find useful is I have a list of things to take in the shed. I check this list just prior to leaving. Works a treat.
  10. EARPLUGS! Not sure how well ipod earphones block out bike noise but you'll find some earplugs make a huge difference to how you will feel... wind and engine noise (esp on a 250) over long periods will tire you out, likely give you a headache and affect your concentration. With earplugs you'll find you will be alert and comfortable. Also it'll be a bit late now but a good quality throttle locker is a god-send on long highway trips where you aren't moving your hand!
  11. I did a 1500km trip in my zzr 250 one month after getting my licence.

One of the best trips I have done.

Join Racv and tie your shit on the back and go.
  12. Wot VC said.
  13. I forgot. Don't take the Hume. Boring.
  14. Make sure you use canalphones, not just ordinary ear buds. Canalphones fit & seal in your ear. Depending on which ones you get, they provide 15-40db in ambient noise reduction.

So you get two benefits. They help reduce wind/bike noise. They also allow you to hear your music/podcasts/radio at a lower volume setting, so less damage to your hearing then normal earbuds cranked up too loud to mask out the wind/bike noise.
  15. One thing that helps reduce wind noise [I found] is a neck sock!! If it's hot, well you'll probably wont wear one..
  16. +1 to ear plugs. You really can't ride in the freeway without them. Well, you can of course but you know what I mean.
  17. All good points on what gear to take but be sure to throw some wet weather gear in the pack. Nothing will likely ruin the trip more than getting soaked through. I've got the moulded ear canal-phones and highly recommend them for lower level music and blocking wind noise.

Plan ahead and take the back roads - it'll add some time but it makes for a far more interesting ride/adventure and that's what it's all about. Not sure of the 250's range but perhaps have a rough plan regarding distances and fuel/rest stops if you decide to go back country.
  18. In addition to everything everyone else has suggested, it helps if you get a good nights sleep the night before and avoid alcohol. Nothing worse than tackling a long(ish) ride when you're already tired/hungover.
  19. I ride a 250 Virago and did the Australia Day Ride - 604kms in the one day. Going to the start point & getting back home to Geelong gave me 170kms of freeway riding. I find freeway riding is more zapping than the twisties, so when I have meet points at Point Melbourne always make sure I get there half hour before the meet time. This gives me plenty of time to stretch the legs and chill out.

Where you can try using "B" roads, usually more enjoyable.

As far as fuel stops, I've never run out because I always refill before 280kms on the trip count. It's only a 9.5 litre tank and have never put more than 7 litres in it.

Do need to make sure you are not too hot or cold, and well hydrated, but it's fine.
  20. The gpx i've been told will get about 300km's before i hit reserve. I've never tested it out fully but i'll probably top up at the wallan servo on the Hume (they have the best KFC i have ever eaten there).

Don't really know the backroads to shepparton to well any other time ive visted her ive drove straight up the hume, then the goulbourn valley freeway.

alright ill be sure to pack plenty of water & a snack or two & wet weather gear & take a few decent breaks along the way. i'm hoping my ipod earbuds will work as a decent noise blocker as i don't have any proper earplugs right now. Speaking of which is there a trick to putting your helmet on without it yanking your iPod earbuds out your ear?