Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tips for long distance?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by HeavyNinja, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Just wanted to see if there was any tips for long distance riding. I need to ride 400km on saturday, thankfully it looks like weather is favourable. The ride is basically 400km of straight road. Plan is to stop every 100-150km and top up and have a walk and a redbull (I don't drink coffee) any other tips?

2. Yeah, lay off the Redbull. There's more in them than just a bit of caffeine. The high sugar content, plus the heavy caffeine load and other stims, will dehydrate you. You might feel more alert but after a few your reactions actually slow down. Better to just drink water and save the Caff-Pow till you really need a boost at the end.
    Other than that:
    Move around on the seat every so often. Changing the pressure spots will give you longer before your bum, and your back, cries for mercy.
    Those kidney belts the mx guys wear aren't there for armour, they're a fatigue measure. They support your core so you don't get tired as quick and over stress your back. The effect is pronounced when riding ... acrobatically, but it helps on a road bike as well. They also help keep your core temperature up.
    Get a good night sleep before you leave, even if it means leaving a little later. This time of year the cold will tire you out fast and leave you unable to respond quickly, and it is very cold early in the morning.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tbh I stupidly never even checked the forum. Cheers
  4. Key to all long distance traveling is frequent stops whenever you feel the need. Drink, walk, whatever you need to refresh the brain!

Where you riding?
  5. 400km is far from a long distance. Watch where you are going and don't run out of fuel.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Enjoy the ride! If you enjoy the ride it won't seem long. Stop to look at things that catch your attention; interesting, curious, beautiful things and scenes that you may never see again if you hurry past just to cover the distance. It's also a chance to learn about your bike - noises, vibrations or flat spots at certain RPMs, scratches and marks you never noticed before, things you're going to do to make it better. Enjoy the ride!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. That's very well said sneosneo. It's so easy to get caught up with what time it is, what time you should have left, when you'll arrive, what you've forgotten and why your backpack is so light, that sometimes you forget that when you're on a bike, the journey can be the best bit.

Stop at the local lookout that you always drive past but have never looked out over. Stretch your legs at a rest stop and talk to the grey nomads with their old land cruiser and rusty caravan. Stay off the motorway and take the road with more corners - you don't have to consciously make an effort to move around in your seat and get the blood flowing to your legs when you're cornering, that's an added bonus.

And most importantly, if you're tired or your mind is wandering, pull over, have a drink of water and a quick break, and get your head together. You're no good to anyone if you don't make it to the other end of your ride.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. 400km is easy mate regular breaks is key.

My last big ride a few weeks ago was 890km in a day.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mate, are you INSANE?? God , he'll NEVER get his destination! Before he knows it he'll be sitting in a fold out chair by a kerosene lit camp lamp listening to suicide inducing grand children stories & tales of the open road. Not to mention the 6000 iPad pics he'll have to look at.

Ride like the wind & save the talk for confessional!
    • Funny Funny x 3
  10. Big WBig W if he talks to the baby boomers at the rest stops it keeps them there, and you don't get stuck behind them in the twisties ;-)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I'm more worried about when they get that caravan moving and decide to overtake everyone, then pull in when they're only half past me and push me off the side of the road with the damn van! (had it happen several times). It's bloody obvious many of the nomads have driven a little hyundai most of their lives and have no concept of how long a 'cruiser + vicount caravan is, or how much that van can whip around at 140!
  12. it's a four-day ride for Ulysses if you factor in coffee and toilet breaks
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Isn't that what the caravan is for?
  14. I plan on stopping as little as possible. If I was going on an actual trip, I would take my time, but this will just be 400km of the most boring straight road. If I didn't possess common sense I would only make one stop as I know my bike will do 300km on a tank, but I drive alot and know how important and refreshing a break can be. It is not so much the distance that worries me, more the boredom. I will only have ear plugs in, so it is just me and my mind for 400km. The end of the ride will be the hardest as I will be in city traffic and having learnt to drive in the city and seeing how shit drivers are nowadays, I am going to have to be 110% alert to my surroundings which after 400km worries me slightly.
  15. Have a good, like 15minute, stop before your last stretch and save the energy drink for that last stop. That way you'll be in the best condition when you get there and the can of sugarfizz will be most effective when you need it.

I don't find boredom an issue, but then I can go back and forth between a zen-like situation of not consciously thinking anything and having discussions with the voices in my head, or playing my own internal "radio" (though the reception's lousy).
    • Like Like x 1
  16. :p <3 Hmph, I resent that remark, I'm a Ulyssian, last half loop in March I did day 1 - Darwin to Tennant Creek 964kms, day 2 - Tennant Creek to Coober Pedy 1220kms, day 3 - Coober Pedy to Euston NSW 1155kms, day 4 - Euston to Canberra 717kms then rest day there in Canberra, then across to Tumut and four days through the Snowies before wandering back to Darwin up through Queensland and across. Some of us old farts do actually ride :)
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. maybe the Ulysses groups not based in Sydney have a different riding ethos. I am speaking as a Sydney Ulyssian, member since 2004 - stopped riding with them as every maccas and petrol station is stopped at. did you ride solo or with a group? my comment is aimed at group riding as you would no doubt realise. please don't take it personally dude as it wasn't aimed at any individual, I'm referring to the group/herd mentality but maybe didn't make it clear in my post. :)
  18. Right..............that has done it. There will be a formal complaint put into the Ulyssian of old men riding their bike of long distances...........................Just incase this is taken the wrong way it is said in fun. I would like to read a ride report on that one. It should be a good read. You covered some distance there.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Yep I realised you're was jesting that's why you got a poked tongue smilie to start with lol, that trip I did with a new wingman, thought I'd broken him about halfway through day 2, to his credit it was his first long run and he held in, he did sleep most of the rest day in Canberra though while I flitted around getting new tyres fitted up and some warranty stuff done at BMW. :):):) Yeah the group rides tend to be a bit sloooow so I usually avoid those :(
    • Like Like x 1