Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tips for cornering on your motorcycle

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by thecptn, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Awesome article, thanks man.
  2. mmm nice will definatley print and read at lunch...
  3. Hey :cool: . Thanks for that.
  4. Good article, thanks.
  5. really helpful. expert advice
  6. Bugger. Should have read this earlier... :p
  7. cheers mate.
  8. Um, some not so great advice in there.....

"you only use the handlebars to lean your motorcycle, and use your handlebars only indirectly to get your motorcycle to ride a corner)."

"Pull the clutch and use the front brake
    In such a case: pull the clutch, and brake with your front brake.

Be careful, and keep pushing your bike into the corner (for most people, the knee works best in this situation), because your bike will try to get straight up (and thus steer out of the corner).

When you practice, you will be able to brake rather hard in corners!"

And with a little slip you will lowside.

I would go back to the source, ( eg. twist of the wrist) and leave this article alone. It mixes the obvious with the incorrect and leaves out important points even when correct.
  9. WTF? That is supposed to be simple and clear? We get off and push the bike through the corner motocross style or something?

This bloke is trippin.
  10. Great article, my corning sux, too un confidant and break alot. need to practice more
  11. I so agree... How the hell am i suppose 2 learn from that.. motorcross style, yeh because we have all done motorcross :shock:
  12. The articles from Holland, isn't that vierd? :LOL:
  13. ... most folk push "down" on a handle bar when they countersteer because they're sitting up... which is actually poor riding position for performance riding.

The more you can get your forearms parallel to the ground when you put the steering input in, the bigger the input will be!

Anyway, get the real good oil here.

14. B#gger me -you mean you actually sit down & read all that stuff. Then try & remember it. And then to top it all off, try & remember it & apply it when charging into a corner 15km/hr too quick :shock: :shock:
    Don't know about the rest of you, but I find the best method to learn cornering is to put my gear on, fire up the bike & go find the nastiest corners I can. Go by yourself (no pressure from anyone then) And don't try to ride too fast too quick. That comes with experience. Pure & simple. Not from reading books.
  15. With that logic, lets never go to school for anything.

ok, here's a pencil, some paper. Go learn (all by yourself and with no hints from anyone) simple maths. Whilst you're there, you'll be having fun working out how to write numbers. Having never seen them before.

So you've never read a book to learn anything? Never been shown anything? Not all people are blessed with natural skill and some of us need someone to show us how to do stuff. I'd hazard a guess that at some point someone either showed you how to do something, or you had to read a book. Sure, given long enough I'm sure you could have eventually worked it out..

Heck, even racers take instruction. It's only the likes of your Rossi's and Doohan's who seem to be able to translate natural talent into results.
  16. Sitting up is surely a better position when counter-steering, for obvious reasons...

Say you are entering a typical corner. You are headed towards the corner at mucho-fasterosso speed, so you are obviously crouched down, hunched over the bars, with your forearms paralell to the ground as you mentioned.

Entering the corner you need to brake however. You sit bolt upright, as your body provides wind resistance, slowing you down. Also sitting upright gives you better access and feel of the brake and clutch levers, because they are set-up to be used this way. You'll have much more feel on the lever when upright.
    So, entering the corner, you are in most control when you are upright.

Your main point seemed to be, the more "parallel to the ground... the bigger the input will be!"
    Not true. Consider the different muscles involved. If you are sitting upright, you are pushing away from your chest, making use of pectorals. If you are crouched, with forearms parallel to the ground, you will have less pectoral force, and more use of shoulders.
    Obviously your arms will have most power, and be able to make the biggest "input", when pushing directly out from your chest, which is in an upright riding position.
    Pushing with your shoulders, above your head, is comparatively weak.
  17. Yeah, why would anyone look for guidance in dealing with advanced aspects that if performed incorrectly can result in serious injury or death. Applying a "trial and error" approach to learning potentially lethal activities is clearly the superior method.
  18. Rob is correct.

Sitting up has bugger all effect at road legal speeds with regards to slowing you down. The racing crouch offers multiple advantages when riding hard(ish), however these are most pronounced on sports bikes due to the position of the bars. Sitting upright, I have poor leverage on the Blade, to corner the bike effectively requires more input than you imagine.

Speed is set before you enter the corner and shouldn't require any change through it. On my bike, the brakes and clutch are easily accessible in a crouched position. For heaving braking I brace myself with a more upright position, but once the speed has been set, set back down again. Sitting upright through T1 at PI is not the best way to go round that corner!

Regarding your pectorals? Depends on what bike you have, but in an upright position, mine are some way below my chest and below the line of the fuel tank.
  19. Woo hooo. Got them biting good now :LOL: Seriously, what method do you reckon gets results quickest -reading a book or practical experience? Book learning will give you a real basic understanding of the principles involved. Which works fine -if you are driving a car for instance. Unfortunately -or fortunately depending on your perspective, when riding a bike this theory does not translate as well. Riding a bike is all to do with "feel" Something that can only be gained from physically getting on & riding said bike. I would bet my @rse that the last thing you would think of when locking the back wheel or sliding on a bit of loose gravel would be "page 198 clause 32.6 -how to correct a slide" And I'm guessing I wouldn't be the only one.