Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tips for carrying a pillion

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Jove, Nov 30, 2006.

1. I'm new to carrying a pillion and wonder if anyone can offer any tips? I worked out on our last ride that if I used more back brake my passenger didn't fall forwards onto me when I slowed down! :shock:

2.  Top
  3. Perfect tip,

get a single seat cowling ;)

Works all the time ;)

4. Ask someone who's had a lot of pillions to take you for a spin on the back of their bike. Then. take that person for a spin on the back of yours. You'll get a feel for what your pillion is thinking and then have an experienced rider show you what your pillion should do and talk you through it. Much better than anything you'll read here. :)

Where are you?

5. It helps if the pillion knows the general rules of riding a bike themselves, even if it is just to lean in the corners.

Then for you, you really won't need to change you riding style, just slow everything down by a bit and Robert's your aunties live in lover. :)

It's not that difficult, it just takes practise, just like when you first learnt to ride.

6. 1) Tell them to be a sack of potatoes, as if they try to help you lean oor stay upright it roots your steering. If they want to help, they can look over the shoulder you're turning towards and that's about it.

2) Use more rear brake than usual. It stops the bike from pitching forward and the pillion from getting pushed right forward into your back. Unless you want that pillion mashing fleshy parts against your back, in which case use lots of front brake. Discretion should be used.

3) Don't scare the pillion unless they ask you to. If you give them a smooth ride they'll be much more eager to get back on another day. If they ask you to scare them, don't ride any harder than you usually would solo. You'll find it harder to brake and you won't feel comfortable leaning it as far over as usual. Better to have them think you're a wimp.

4) Careful of the front coming up under acceleration with the extra weight on the back. If you don't know how to manage a wheelie, for gawd's sake don't try to learn with somebody else on the bike.

5) Be extra careful when lane-splitting. Pillions like to look into cars and see what's going on. Their small movements on the back can cause big steering deviations at very slow speeds.

7. Guilty :oops: :wink: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

8.  Top
  9. Best pillion passengers are chicks that ride horses (cause they go with what you do)
    Worst are girls that ride dirt bikes cause they have pillion’d people before and are scared when you start leaning and try to fight it which makes cornering “interesting†to say the least.

Just tell them to “go with it†and try to copy what you do as best they can,
    I cant say this will work for every one but it works for me.

10. Sorry cant agree with this, never had a problem with pillioning chicks that ride dirt bikes.

11. Sorry I shouldn’t of stated that as a fact.

Its just in my experience they were afraid the bike would slip out which was quite understandable considering they had been riding bikes with knobblies for years, so they tried to lift the bike up as I was trying to lay it into the corner.

But I stand by my statement about horse riders.

12. Yes, I agree;I like good adductor squeeze.

13. I ask them to swing their leg really high, to try and avoid giving the carbon fibre a booting.
    If they are really tight, I offer them an adductor massage to enhance their flexibility.

14. I always ask every pillion to look over the same shoulder as the way I'm turning. This hopefully stops them from "sitting up" in a corner. Do everything slowly..brake/accelerate..until you and they have some confidence.
    They need to do what you are doing too...looking through the corners..anticipating braking.
    When confident they can put their hands on you tank to take their weight off your back under heavy breaking. I had cause to e-brake to avoid a couple of sheep on a country road a few years back. The 100+kilo pillion slid forward placing all of their weight (plus my own) onto my arms. I had to release the brake as the pain was horrendous.

15. :shock: I read this and couldn't help myself. the last time i saw Seany he had the er5 and Egiste was doing the mashing :bannanabutt:

16. Best tip I can think of is don't forget there is some one on the back with you .... especially if there isn't some one on the back any more and there was when you started !!!! Make sense ?