Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tips For A Fast Take Off?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by xcom1, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Can anyone provide any helpful hints for a fast take off at the lights?

2. Ride a Z1000 - that seems to work for me.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Don't try and make a fast take off. Just keep practising using the clutch and gradually build up to it.

Otherwise you just risk getting rear-ended by someone when you stall it, or shitting yourself and dropping it if you manage to break traction at the rear wheel or lift the front end.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Bandit1200S

• Like Like x 1
  5. Are you retarded ?
    You need to practice.......
  6. I'll give you this one for free. Make sure you let off the brake.
  7. And put it in gear.
  8. You're in a generous mood, you can't just give him all our secrets. At least you didn't tell him which gear.
  9. Cowboy chaps....I'm ready in a jiffy
  10. Buttless or buttfull chaps?
  11. Ooooooooh buttless of course.

was waiting for bareback jokes lol If I stand behind the OP with a smile and fistfull I bet he can take off quick.......yahoo free bike
  12. Make sure you don't accidentally miss neutral when you shift up from first. You sound like a fully sick pro if you take it to the red line in first, neutral and second. (That's what I keep telling myself, anyway.)

More seriously, it's just like a car. A smidgen of throttle, then ease out the clutch as you open up the throttle further. But as jd said, aim for smoothness rather than speed, and the speed will come with practice. My first few times on the road I was being beaten off the line by Toyota Camrys. A few months later, not so much.
  13. It's a fine balance between giving a bike enough throttle/rapid enough clutch disengagement to take off as quickly as possible, and scaring yourself by lifting the front wheel and/or making things more dangerous for yourself by slipping on road markings etc.

As others have said, find somewhere quiet that you can practice, like an empty car park or a long stretch of quiet road.. start slowly; aim for smoothness at first. Gradually begin to raise the rpm and/or speed that you disengage the clutch. If you have a gopro, it might help to record what you're doing so you can look at it later and see what worked best.

Remember though, the road is not a race track. Take it easy, and stay safe...
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Check the surface of the intersection (and beyond) before trying any heroics.
  15. A somewhat related question:
    Is the frontwheel lifting up something one would have to worry about when taking off fast with a 250? Not that I take off quick enough for that anyway...
  16. Yes. Even in 6th the chance of looping it is immense. Cover the rear brake.
  17. Not to worry with the 250 too much, unless you drop the clutch while half way up the RPM range.

To the OP, just do normal take offs...you will get better at it through practice and as said earlier, smooth is good. Please don't try a race launch until you know your bike well and at what rev range it should sit at before bogging down.
  18. 1. Get the bike winging its tits off
    2. Drop the clutch
    3. Have your mate film it
    4. Post video on Netrider
    • Like Like x 3
  19. 5. Get them to add another verse to that dumb ways to die song for you... :p
  20. You can lift the front wheel on a 50cc scooter if you really want to.

So certainly not impossible on a 250 if you do something really wrong (or really right ;))