Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

tippy toeing, good or bad?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by imsleepy, Nov 12, 2006.

1. hi guys/girls
    i looked at an rs250 yesturday and when i sat on it with the bike upright, i was tippy toeing full on, is that a problem?? and apparently, u can adjust the rear to make it sag more when sitting on the bike using some tool to loosen it, is this true? i don't want to be tippy toeing everytime and leaning it to one side, it seems like the bike is heavy. is this just a noob thing and i'll just get used to the weight over time? well, im lost for a solution, help me guys/girls.

2. Sorry, can't offer solution as only one bike has ever made me feel vertically challenged and I had enough experience to adjust to the tippy toeing bit even with a pillion. I suppose if I had put my feet down differently ie behind or in front of the pegs it would have been alright - but I didn't.

Just a thought if you adjust the rear suspension to cope with the seat height it may alter the handling in some other way, which may not be desirable and will influence the rideability.

If you are learning perhaps another bike you can sit on and reach the ground properly on will be good for a while until you build confidence and then you can tackle a two stroke and enjoy it.
  3. An RS250? How short are you, brother? Those things are tiny!
  4. Sleepy -

stay away from any bike that has you tippy-toeing when you're a newb. Yes, there is adjustment of static sag available to an extent on most bikes, but generally speaking it doesn't make heaps of difference, and chances are if you get it set up well for paddling, it'll be lousy for riding.

The first time you do low speed work on an uneven or sloped surface, things tend to get nasty. If you can only just touch the ground on a level surface, you'll be lost when you try simple things like parking on a road shoulder, or just paddling a circle over the natural camber of a narrow road.

Find a bike that better fits you stature and be happy.

5. thanks for the reply guys
    im pretty short, im 165cms.
    i've sat on a cbr250rr, they feel abit better, i can get nearly all of my feet on the ground when upright, i guess i just gotta keep lookin around. so am i right in saying that i'll be dreaming to get an r6 later on? cause i'd like to get a bigger bike when i can
  6. what's that in feet & inches?? :grin:
    ZZR250 is close to the ground and worth considering.
    i suspect u might be right about the R6. mind u, by then u might be happier to tip-toe. or if you can afford it, a Monster? sit, test ride, play... lots :wink:
  7. Can I suggest you crawl before you walk??? Let's get you learning and confident on your first bike before you start planning on the NEXT step?

I'm sure you don't want to he like the lady rider we saw at Wollombi a couple of months ago. She was so short she couldn't touch the ground on either side, and her partner had to hold the bike upright while she started it. But she just had to have a Triumph 675, even though she's probably already fallen over a couple of times in traffic :roll:
  8. Hey there,

Just to let you know I'm a little taller (170cms) and currently have a ZZR250. I can easily manouvre the bike around and have flat feet on both sides with a slightly bent leg even. As a new rider myself, there is no way I would contemplate riding a bike where I couldn't comfortably reach the ground.

And the ZZR250 is no slouch either. From all reports a great bike for newbs.

Hope that helps. :)
  9. Hi,
    the RS250 has multiple adjustors on the rear shock and spring,
    on my bro's RS the suspension was set very hard when he got it,
    so the seat was set very high,
    just need to back off the spring to suit rider height and weight,
    and adjust the compression and rebound on the shock to suit.

but I agree with what was said above,
    I would not recommend a RS250 for a first timer or learner bike.
    unless you are planning on doing a lot of rider training,
    as the RS is a very powerful and fast 250.
    Can catch the inexperienced rider out,
    even quite experienced riders like my brother have been caught out,
    spun the rear tyre on linemarking on the road and got throw off.
  10. Tippy-toeing is bad, mmkay?
  11. I am 167cm's, 5ft6 and a bit, on the old scale.
    I have a wee Virago and can plant both feet firmly on the ground with ease, actually I find the Virago a bit too small now that I have increased my confidence after 20,000K's.
    For anyone that is vertically challenged and starting out a virago is perfect.(if you like cruisers that is)
  12. If you adjust the height too much you'll need a shorter side stand too...

165cm is around 5'4".

Get something you're comfortable with. Tippy toeing a bike, as with many things, isn't the way to go.
  13. thanks for all the reply guys/girls
    this has all been alot of help and i will keep all this in mind.
    i would come to the conclusion that tippy toeing is bad in most peoples minds, though when i went for my Lz, it was on a honda cb250, and i was still tippy toeing bout half my foot. i think i have really short legs. saying this, would one foot firmly planted on the ground be bad? instead of 2 tippy toeing on the ground. i must sound like the biggest noob :(
  14. Hi imsleepy, I'm 161cm tall and ride an R6. I'm on the balls of my feet and have the suspension at its lowest. I'm reasonably small though so it doesn't really affect the ride. Tip toeing isn't really fun, you get use to it. I wouldn't recommend it for a newbie tho.
    I suspect the CBR250 you sat on must have had its suspension setting up high. I can sit flat footed on the ground on my friends CBR250RR. Goodluck with your search. :)
  15. i tip-toe around home all the time and have had nothing but success so far :LOL:

they are adjustable, but i reckon you need to find something that makes you go "this is the one!"
  16. With the bike upright, I am almost on my toes on teh GTR.
    You soon learn that you merely have to slide the bum over a little bit (not much needed) when coming to a stop, and allow the bike to lean over a little as you put your foot down. I can just stand flat footed with teh bike leaned over to a comfortable amount (so it won't go teh other way too suddenly) when stopped. I am 6ft tall, but don't have the longest legs, I am long in the torso.
    You will see shorter riders in traffic riding off the side of the saddle when faced with having to stop and start a lot, whether they know they are doing it or not!
    For a shorter person, the small to midsize cruisers are very popular for learning, as are the older nakeds. I could sit flat footed, with slightly bent knees on my Z 650 for example, and they are a reasonable sized bike.
    As others have said, find a bike you like, and if it's a bit too tall (say an inch or two) you can play with suspension preloads (you are light yes?), get a little taken out of the seat foam, and find some boots with another inch of sole on teh toes/balls of the foot. You could easily gain 3 inches doing what I said above, for the cost of a seat reshape and boots.
    Seriously, a far more important consideration for buying a bike is comfort in teh riding position. Find something comfortable in that regard, buy it and make it work when stopped!

Regards, Andrew.
  17. Yeah I agree with that. ^^^

sit on as many bikes as you can you'll find "the one" eventually. may i suggest a ZX2R very low seat height... you might need long arms though.
  18. I had a cbr250 which I managed on really well (5'3") but could only reach the ground reasonably well on the pre '04 R6. The seats got wider :p :evil: