Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Tip] Off the edge on your road bike.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by booga, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Well I was out yesterday on a ride trough the hills near Gembrook and took a right hander that got tighter just as i was 'powering out of the corner'...

So i went off the side, but managed to stand the bike upright just before i did, stuck my feet out whilst fighting my natural reflexes (of bailing and save myself :D ), meanwhile not trying to target fixate on the edge of the hill i was going to go over and back onto the road. But i stayed rubberside down. (Unlike a previous incident :roll: )

So the tip.
    1. Stand the bike as upright as possible as you come off the side of the road (this can be done with slight application of front brakes).
    2. Off the throttle (or less of it anyway), but NO brakes and NO clutch.
    3. Stick your feet out to the side to keep balance and to stop sticks hitting you in the knees.
    4. Target your vision and direction to the road, and keep your head up, dont care what you run over (thats what your feet are for).
    IF you end up aiming at the opposite edge of the road and there is no way of getting back on the road, then just hold on with slight application of front brake and keep your feet down.
    5. Do a mental punch in the air and say 'Yeah!! I survived'.

Rubber side down, folks ;)

PS Any comments or additions i should have in there are welcome. :)

2. stopped? should a cranked it over more mate! :LOL:

well done on the emergency stop anwyay

3. umm dave stupid question but didn't you see it tighten or was it a 2 point apex corner? Just don't understand how you can power out of a corner if you can't see the exit? Because my understanding of exiting out of a corner was that you accelerate once you are past the apex and once you can see the exit of the corner is when you open it right up. Could be wrong (probably am) but always willing to listen to more experienced riders/drivers.

Either way gald to hear you survived and both yourself and bike came out undamaged

4. Good save Dave :D :D

5. I would say your advice is okay, but only if you are already off the tar (or certain to do so). It sounds like the problem arose earlier in the corner. Without being there to judge, it seems that as you say, you got on the power too early, without a clear view of the exit. We've all done that at some time.
    The conventional wisdom is to stop winding on but hold a steady open throttle, while giving the bars a short, sharp push to turn you in harder. Snapping the throttle off or braking may cause you to stand up and run wide where you could have made the turn.
    Once off the tar, though, it's all bets off and make up your own rules (which is what you did :) )

6. Cool,

Ok, I didn't actually stop tho, i just kept going as others were behind and catching up :oops:

Stewy, You are correct (as my understanding goes anyway) but i didnt' actually see it (cos i was cranked over, and thus thought if i lowered it, we'd both go to the gravel) tighten, or rather it just whipped away, but i could see just around the corner to down the road. But I was keeping steady throttle till then.

And its true, what stood me up most was probably the roll off the throttle after i acknowledged the fact that i had no room under me (but no i wasn't scraping pegs, so i prob wasn't over far enough for some of you ;) :p )

But i also wasn't practicing my pivot points (as described to me from one of the good reads (correct me if i'm wrong, could be twist of the wrist)) and should have hyper extended my neck and pushed on the outside peg... but hindsight is a b!&ch isn't it :D

7. sounds like the survival reactions kicked in... Nothing you really could have done differently if it was a double apex corner and you lined up for a single, you were always going to be in the funny position. I guess all you can do is maybe back off on blind corners that you don't know, and leave a bit of lean angle in reserve for correction.

again well done on keeping it upright

8. Unless you have rearsets (where if they touch down it's only because the bike is lying on its side), then unless both your knee is sliding on the road and the pegs are scraping, you've always got more lean angle left.

Reminds me of an incident I had recently. Left hand corner, I was following a rider about 20-25m back from him, and his road location obscured my vision of the heavily decreasing radius. Just keep pushing it over, and never be scared to push it over futher, and 99/100 you will make it, so long as you didn't enter the corner so fast that the pegs were scraping and your knee was down already. In fact, even then, you're probably going so fast that it may even be safer (to your body) to low-side the bike and attempt to control your slide/fall consciously and scrub off body speed before you leave the road, than to leave the road at high speed with the bike stood up and you still on it.

Just random mumblings....feel free to disagree.

Just remember, slow in, look through the corners, and fast out when the exit is clearly visible, when riding on unknown roads. The problem happened way before the throttle-on for you, based upon your description.

9. It's all hypothetical....but...
    the crank-it-harder only goes that far before the schamozzle goes pear-shaped.
    It sounds like you set up tip-in-point and speed for the wider radius, pulled tight (towards the road-center-line), 'clipped the apex and ran wide through the tightening radius. Good save to keep it together.

As mentioned above, the cause was some way back. Staying high (close to the left edge in this case) for way longer, would've created an earlier detection of the tightening radius (better visibility).
    If uncertain, dip inside shoulder/elbow and move weight slightly onto inside edge of seat....while letting the bike run still high (close to the left edge) and fairly "un-cranked".
    Once the realization of the tightening radius kicks in, pick your tip-in point as per normal and pull the bike underneath you (the body-weight is already "cranked") by pushing the inside-bar down quite firmly and lifting the bum fractionally to "click the seat into place".
    (At it's most severe...it's often seen as the GP-guys set up their body for the next bend...just coming out of the last one, on the hammer and waaaay before hitting the brakes for the next.)

This way the 'tightening' part becomes the actual bend, the lead-up to it the "suss-out/ hang-high to find the point" curved-entry.
    Sounds like you committed to the initial radius and ran your line accordingly, not leaving room for surprises (may they be a hook at the end/gravel/potholes-mid-line/ whatever).
    Hang-high...suss-out...tip-in...STAY TIGHT (close to the center-line in this case, head tilted the other way preferrably to keep the noggin from overhanging the white line). This way there's plenty of reserves on the left to adjust lines if needed for oncoming traffic etc.

10. Yeah, because of the unknown-to-me corner I didn't shift my bum to the side as i've been also learning (as i do it to get on the eastern most mornings :D ), but looks like i should have done.

Agreed :( but its all a learning curve, otherwise we'd be up against Rossi :LOL:

11. Aren't we? :LOL: :LOL:

12. Untill i wake up and realise what i was useing as a throttle :shock:

13. These are'nt really tips...more about just what you managed to do to survive after you made a major mistake.
    And some of your actions were badly incorrect...you were lucky.

But having said that, these actions worked for you at the time in those specific circumstances - just don't count on them as actions to repeat as part of your riding technique overall - they could easily not work.

John.

14. Congratulations on holding it together not text book but efective which was previously said survival and adrenalin kicked in :shock: .One thing i know you have learnt dont go too hard into a corner or accelerate to hard in a corner on a road that you dont know and you wont have this problem again