Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

time to learn to do it myself

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by whitelighter, Nov 22, 2006.

1. ok the time has come to learn to do my own minor services on a GPX 250 and was looking for some help from someone with a workshop setup that can gide and assist me to do this cause the truth is i have almost no mechanical knowlage but can work out most electrical problems and my tool kit is very limited so i will be looking to get a good tool box built up over the next few months so i beg someone please help [-o<

2. Hi, I'm mechanically inept and I bought

The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance
    by Mark Zimmerman

from Amazon and it seems a good place to start.
    At least I now understand a bit of whats going on in there.

3. this website is very useful for all bike mechanic topics.
    It is really useful for chain mainenence, oil and filter changes,spark plug and air filters etc.
    I do all the minor servicing on my bike, but you must get a workshop manual

http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircour...elps you as it did with my servicing. Jeff

4. good on ya for taking it into your own hands im sure alot of people have had good and bad experiences with mechanics.

check out :

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Main_Page
    www.ninja250.info

these are american sites and over there the gpx250 is called a ninja250. both sites are tightly linked so there maybe duplicate info but there is alot there.

as for tools get a metric bondhus hex set, a metric 3/8" drive set and maybe small metric ring/open ender set and screwdrivers i guess.

i would suggest buying tools only as required as they cost alot!!!!:(