Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Time to haggle

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by rugsta, Apr 20, 2007.

1. I asked this on another post but to no avail and I'm off to see a bike tomorrow.

Having never bought a bike/car etc in Australia whats the protocol for price haggling. I'm looking at private sales here for bike advertised around the 7-8 grand mark.

Eg if someones asking 7990 whats the general opinion on the starting and final haggling price.

Yes, I know this might sound a bit of a daft question but I have nothing to go on.

2. ask the owner if there is anything wrong with the bike. pick out anything that they dont mention. add up the cost of things that need replacing (if selling with rego, they have to fix it by law). simply take the cost of new stuff off the price. if asking 7900, offer 6500. maybe take 7000 cash, wave it in front of their face. tell them 7000 today, right now, or say you have to wait a week till next pay day, where youll be looking around anyway. haggle awy, if they want to sell they will. btw, take someone experienced with you... youre on netrider, so it shouldnt b a problem. good luck.
  3. Depends on a bunch of factors, including the condition and type of bike (i.e. on how realistic you think the asking price is), how long it's been for sale, any factors like rego running out soon or no RWC, condition of tyres and other consumables, how much you want the bike and whether you're willing to walk away!

Your own knowledge is key - in terms of knowing the market and the features of the bike. If you're not confident on checking the bike over, take someone knowledgable with you or negotiate the ability to take it for a mechanic's check before the sale is final.

Having said all that, if all is as represented I'd feel comfortable offering $7.5k and moving from there. If it's been for sale a long time and you're willing to walk away you could try 7 or 6.5.

I'm a relative softie though, and will get called a girly-man by the harder bargainers, I've no doubt.
  4. And respect is key, no matter what you do. Sure, point out things you'll have to fix or problems with the bike in negotiating a price, but do it civilly. IMO no bargain is worth my reputation and character.
  5. Offer him what you think it's worth, or slightly less than what you want to pay for it.

He'll either say "Nope. Price is as it is." or he'll lower his price.

You can agree there, or press for more.

The first time round you're likely to knock $500-$1000 off their asking price.
    The 2nd time around they're only likely to compromise by a couple of hundred bucks or something.

... the other method seems to be to ask freakin' retarded questions like "What's the least you'll take for it?" :roll:

/Oh I dunno champ, what's the most you can afford to pay for it? Grrrrr.
  6. I'm a bit like Bravus but I alway try and understand what I am buying and the market price and then balance it against the condition of the bike.

But if the bike is overpriced then offer well below what you want pay. If it is well priced drop $500 off and work from there, whats 1 or 2 hundred bucks over the term of the bike?
  7. Print out these lists (or a combination of the two):
    Take them with you, and work through them. Definitely try and get a bike minded person to go with you. Once you've gone through the list, deduct the costs of repairing/replacing anything the bike will require from the asking price.
    Then determine if that price is fair (judging by the asking prices of similar bikes).
    Also determine if you want to pay the money for it, TRY not to fall in love with it, you have to make sure you would be willing to pay the figure you have in mind, if you believe the asking price minus the things to fix is still too much, offer a price that's lower, remember, all they can say in no.
  8. Great, cheers people.

Fairly happy looking at bikes I've bought a few and always do my homework to start off with but the relative scarcity of some models/years in Australia along with a wide range of asking prices is all new.

The bike is priced at the top end of the private price bracket but its got lowish mileage and sounds like its in excellent condition. Its not overpriced maybe just a bit 'enthusiastic'.

If I buy I might post bike/price and get some viewpoints.....or on the other hand :LOL:

9. Go to http://www.bikesales.com.au and print off some (cheaper) examples of the model he's selling. That should give you an idea of the media pricing and use them as a starting point to haggle.
  10. No way, that's the easiest way to do it. When I got my bike and new car I just straight up asked "How low are you willing to go on the price?" and what they said was fine. Quicker and easier than standing around haggling about it. They said how low they wanted to go and I said fine, I'll take it. The bike was from a dealer too.
  11. you need to guess what his lower limit is then offer under that but close enough to keep him interested. umm and ahh a bit so he's not really sure you want it. if he won't come down you can always say you have to talk to your wife before you can spend more or there are other bikes you need to check out. if its been on the market for a while he'll probably be more nervous than you so play a few games
  12. Also try to gauge how much interest there is in the bike from other people. This follows on from Twistngo's point regarding how long it's been on the market.
  13. The right price ultimately is one that both buyer and seller are happy with.

Some negotiation tips.

See if they will reduce their price first (below what they advertised). If they do, they aren't real good at negotiating and you have a good chance of getting it near their lower limit. In this case, go hard with a pretty optomistic figure. Avoid the situation of you increasing your price without them decreasing theirs.

Go into the negotiation with a FIRM understanding of what you COULD but it for, what you MIGHT and SHOULD be able to buy it for. If they are desperate for a sale you might get your COULD price (basically your best case scenario).

Know your facts. There is a good chance the seller knows theirs as they have experience with the bike.

Keep on good terms with the seller. Negotiate with the aim of buying, not just fishing for a price on something you have no intention of buying.
  14. Hehe, and now with very little notice I'm off to look at a bike tomorrow too.
  15. I like to find a fair price for things. I know I could get some things a little cheaper but I'm happier with myself if I find the fair middle ground.

When I bought my bike I picked a price in my head and just said, "I'm pretty keen but not stupid. Let's find a price we can both agree on." He answered with the same figure I had in my head and it was a deal.
  16. cash today is always worth more than in the future
  17. I recently "haggled", the bike was advertised for $7600. Market value is around $8500 - 9500 so it was already a great price. The only thing I could see was the back tyre had "some" wear, so we agreed on $7350.

There is no point going to buy if you dont have a thorough understanding of what the bike is worth on the market - look closely at the trading post/bike sales and gather an idea what they are worth (How many k's on dial etc)
  18. Also you don't have to leave with the bike that day.

I was bargining with a guy who sold me my bike and we got to a point where he said "My wife and I talked - and 3k is the lowest we are going to sell it for", I idealy wanted it for under 3k so I offered him that and told him to give me a call if he changed his mind. That night he called and the next day I picked up the bike (or at least I think it was the next day).

Anyway I learnt how to haggle in Jakarta - Indonesia, to a point where I could even out haggle the locals;) And from what I see haggling is pretty much international, but whatever the custom, it never goes too far to be polite.