Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Time to cut my losses?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Rip, Jul 13, 2009.

1. As background, a few months ago I bought an old (unregistered) VFR750 with the idea of getting it on the road as cheap transport. Paid $1k at the time, and have since spent about $1.5k since fixing it up.

I took it for a roadworthy this morning, and had it failed on sight (a record for me - usually it takes a few minutes : ). From the list of fail items, it looks like another thousand or more worth of repairs required to pass, including fairings, master cylinder and front calipers. In the mean time, I haven't been for a proper ride in months.

So the question is: at what point is it time to cut my losses, flog it off and get something decent? Do I persist and maybe end up with somethng rideable in a weeks/months, or put it on ebay and chalk it up to experience?

2. I think it comes down to what it is going to be used for.

Commuting to and from work - Get a decent bike with more chance of reliability

just for fun - waste your time because if you breakdown on your way to a mates house, ahwell sh17 happens, your mate would understand. If it happens on the way to work somehow I think the bosses wont be happy. PR1CKS.
  3. Many say you own a classic :?

At the moment don't know if you'd be getting your money back :?:

But for another grand, you have a roadworthy bike for $3.500, which should always be worth at least that :cool:
  4. Just going by how much they're for sale on Bikesales, if I were in your shoes, I'd call it quits at a total of $4,000 unless the condition you're getting it to rivals that of a more expensive bike; then I'd go more. You've still got $1,500 to go and you can probably do a bit with that. Considering you want a bike to stack on the km, I think you're still in a good position and its most likely worth spending the rest of what you need to to get a good bike out of it. In the end, $4,000 or $5,000 for a good and reliable bike is pretty good going IMO.
  5. Perhaps you need to find an... uh... less scrupulous RWC supplier? :wink:
  6. + 1 to MV.

Going on Netrider accounts just here in Melbourne, half the shops around would have failed all of my bikes so far. One of the store guys at Peter Stevens got really excited about my SR500 when I got it and took it in for tyres. He went over the bike himself and then called teh RWC guy to arrange a quick RWC. That guy's response was such - we'll need to check every bearing, etc etc - that I didn't go back there. I actually don't think it's about dodgy RWC testers as opposed to proper ones, rather the case sems to be that there's those who just see if it's fit for the road, if it's road worthy or not, and those who either try to make a heap of money out of the event or are simply pedantically silly. Depending on what it is that's wrong wit hyour fairing I strongly suspect you got the latter sort. In my experience, most guys in shops have a poor attitude when it comes to old bikes. They're true subscribers to wasteful Western consumerism, with all teh blindness that props such attitudes up.
  7. I agree here. I had a guy in town here knock back one of the Beemers for roadworthy on sight when I turned up for the agreed appointment.

There was a small cut in the seat down near the edge of the base.

What ensued was an absurd discussion where he said if I booked it in he would fail it because of the tear. I queried it and asked what if I put a lovely sheepskin cover on it? He said as far as he was concerned about was not being able to see them. I asked about taping them up, and he said that was fine too. (WTF??? :shock:) But no tape or sheepskin = fail.

He then told me that because the brake disk had grooves in it he'd fail that too, irrespective of whether or not it was still above minimum thickness.

I lost count of the number of "for sale with RWC" bikes with torn or worn seats I have seen since in other bike shops. Same goes for discs. The bike was 24 years old, so of course things won't look "factory fresh".

I've now run out of bike shops I'd bother dealing with in Sunbury. As an aside I'll drive 30km to not spend a cent with them these days, but I am sure there are more reasonable places that will pass an older bike that is safe even if it looks ratty. Daily transport doesn't stay pretty for long.
  8. They no longer exist. Since Vicroads changed the rules and made the tester directly liable for any potential failure (as well as losing their ticket if found out), not even the dealers can get a 'Dodgy Brothers' roadie any more.
  9. It's interesting, that.
  10. +1
    However, there are RWCs and there are RWCs.
    Many items are left to a tester's discretion, and every tester is different.
    ( We are all human and what some may consider a fail, others see as borderline ok ).
    Try another Tester.
    +1 GoTeam
    It still may be worthwhile spending the extra 1k+
  11. If the fairing is an issue for them, try taking it off. Then ask if that's better.

Those dollars are still good for a bike like that if it's in good shape.
  12. Hmm. Sounds like a couple of bucks in parts, not thousands, surely?
  13. Dust of the spanners, and get dirty, buddy.
    Then you'll know your machine.

They are a lovely old bike.
  14. Keep it. Buy a part at a time, you'll hardly notice the money.
  15. Just finished cleaning them off : )

It was pulled up on more than the fairings, and a few were reasonable fails (e.g a small buckle in the rear rim). But when a crack in the side of the rear fairing thats bolted on either side is a fail item ... :evil:

oh, and the exhaust is too loud (the best thing about it :grin: )

Thanks for the input
  16. just take the fairings off, get a RWC with it naked. then put fairings back on at home. i dont see how a naked bike cant pass a RWC.

as for the rest, im sure you can scrounge up $1500 in a couple of months easy, and with some keen eyes for a bargain and willing to get your hands dirty, you should be able to fix it up fiar decent unless there are some major issues :grin:
  17. Not saying that you should get a "dodgy" RWC, but some people understand that you want a cheap daily ride, some people want you to spend $1000 in their shop for the privilage of that daily ride.

When I first got my CX roadworthied, it was a quick inspection in the shop without it even being started. I had spent a month (on & off) or so tidying her up though, that may have helped. It wasn't what you would call a nice looking bike though.