Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Time to challenge bicyclists to a race

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by jdkarmch, Aug 27, 2013.

1. #1 jdkarmch, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    In the Age today some bicycle rider makes the claim that he passed 589 cars on a bicycle ride commute.

I rekon its time we threw down the gauntlet and challenged these bicycle riders to a race - to prove once what the fastest mode of transport to commute by really is. For ages, they have been conducting races - but excluding us.

Is anyone up for it? Anyone have any influence within the bicycle community - to co-ordinate one.

If we want to prove that PTW are a positive contribution to the Traffic Congestion debate then this is the sort of thing that IMHO we should be doing and getting publicity from.

So, I'm throwing the idea out there - to see if there is any interest.....

Cyclist passes 589 cars on way to work

Date
    August 27, 2013
    1_onyourbike-127x127-90x90.

After wearing out his knees with basketball and running, Michael O'Reilly became yet another Mamil (Middle-Aged Man In Lycra).
    • Pin It
    • submit to reddit
    • Email article
    • Print
    • Reprints & permissions
    Cyclist overtakes 589 cars during commute
    Sick of traffic? Watch how this cyclist beat the morning gridlock, swapping his car for his bike and passing hundreds of motorists along the way.
    "War on our roads. Cars versus cyclists, the new front line on Australian roads. Depending on which side you're on ..."
    So began a report on last week's Sunday Night program on Channel 7. Fuelled by confronting footage of cars colliding with cyclists, the promos had preceded the shows for days.
    Good news cycling stories are everywhere – and they'll often catch you by surprise.
    And just to get the pulses racing, there was a clip of radio announcer Derryn Hinch encapsulating his view of cyclists: "Cockroaches on wheels."
    traffic_729-620x349.
    In bumper to bumper traffic, bicycles are often the only vehicles moving. Photo: Justin McManus
    Like any good promo, it sucked you in. But what followed was, in the main, a sensible, reasoned plea for more calm and consideration on our roads. To reinforce this message, the program highlighted what can happen when things go wrong, focusing on two women who had sustained awful injuries through the actions of careless motorists.
    Advertisement
    But surely this is not a "war"? What kind of a war is it when one side has weapons of massive destruction, and the other side is unarmed and defenceless? Or when the casualties are entirely on one side?
    And most of all – why do we have to choose a side? Almost all the cyclists I know are motorists, too. Are they fifth columnists when behind the steering column?
    In a bid to represent the "other side", in drove Hinch, with former motor racing champion Mark Skaife.
    He tried to clarify that he didn't mind recreational cyclists, but felt all cyclists should be banned from city centres (at a time when many cities are limiting the number of cars entering CBDs while encouraging cyclists).
    Meanwhile, Skaife rolled out the discredited, tedious obsession with registration, suggesting this was "the way for motorists to take [cyclists] seriously". A simple shift in mental attitude would be wiser, cheaper and easier.
    For all its good intentions, I wonder whether many saw the underlying message as: "Cycling is terribly dangerous, and people in cars have no regard for you." Not to mention the many who would have been cheerfully agreeing with Hinch.
    I'm not saying we should ignore the problems on our roads. It's just that we surely don't see enough reports about the everyday joys and lasting benefits that people get from riding bikes.
    There's a YouTube video I've watched countless times that neatly counters the fallacy that "bicycles hold up traffic" – a little gem called "How Many Cars Did I Pass Today?"
    Last week I tracked down its creator, Tim Goldby of The Bicycle Channel. He'd filmed his commute from the Melbourne suburb of Essendon to the CBD. By adding up the cars he overtook – and subtracting the ones passing him – he shows himself beating 589 vehicles into the city.
    Every time I watch that video, I think of how much better it would be for all concerned – including the jammed motorists - if there were more bikes travelling with him.
    A Follow Michael O'Reilly on Twitter

2. And if 59 of those cars were motorbikes instead there'd be a 40% reduction in traffic congestion, so the cars would be passing O'Reilly and he'd have nothing to faff on about!

That's the angle I'd take, rather than a challenge in which they have the advantage! (Advantage of bike lanes which we are legally not allowed to use: JDK included ;) )

3. But, Heli I rekon that I could do it without breaking any laws - and no bike lanes if it started from where I live in Blackburn.

My whinge (and its a whinge) is that we let these bicycle riding pussies get away with this sort of propaganda.

Every time - someone throws up that Law excuse - when the bicycle riders are putting their lives in danger by splitting themselves - especially when not using bicycle lanes.

Are motorcycles not that much wider that bicycles? Most sports bikes are only a few cm wider than most of these bicycles. Maybe that is the argument we should be putting forward - that bicycles and motorcycles share a lot in common. We do from a safety standpoint - do we not?

I hear the excuses - I'm just sick of hearing them.

Just thought I'd throw the idea out there for discussion......... End of Rant.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. More likely he passed 100 cars and they overtook him again 5 times while holding everyone else up trying to pass him.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Where to begin...

It's important to remember that although these cheer-squad stories promoting cycling to the converted may be galling to read when we reflect on the hostility to us in some parts of the media, they are not a challenge to motorcyclists and they don't reflect badly on us.
    Bicycles have some limitations that will always restrict their use - distance, and the fitness of the rider for a start. I wouldn't worry over-much about a self-promoting cheer-squad story that doesn't directly put motorcyclists in a bad light.
    Drawing attention to the speed advantage of our bikes, unfortunately, probably will.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Over the years I've spent a helluva lotta time commuting via pushie....

Depending on proximity to the CBD - there is no contest for a pushie......

> 8-10km from CBD, or using more open rodes - MOTO will win.

Inner city work, inner city suburbs - narrow streets, short traffic light sequences.....AMPLE footpath and tracks.......pushie always wins.....

7. And that is the point that I want to re-enforce - that motorcycles are the best in the long distance commute. Most commuters fall into that category.

And that is where the reducing congestion argument should be centred.

I think that I might create my own Youtube clip. It would be too easy to duplicate the bicycle one.

But even in the inner city - motorcycles and bicycles are about the same. i.e. a bicycle and a motorcycle will cover the same distance in almost the same time.

8. Commuting 'races' have been done to death on Top Gear.
    Public transport always comes out on top over longer distances.
    Bicycles are hands down faster in peak inner city traffic.

I can't see anything good at all coming from a bicycle/ptw commuting race. Ptws will either be criminalised for filtering or be just as slow as cars.

There's no harm in cycling propaganda.

9. So? Why can't we create some similar propaganda of our own, is the thing I'm trying to get everyone to think about. No harm in that......

10. Wasn't this done by the Age a couple of years ago with a scooter coming out ahead?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I'm with you on positive propaganda, but I think it's unproductive to challenge cyclists. Just like bicycles, motorcycles are an alternative to cars, and public transport, only better at longer distances.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sure, no problem with that. I just don't think there's any need to compete with or race against cyclists. What you're really trying to demonstrate is that BOTH bicycles and ptws reduce congestion.

13. Pushbikes are narrower, also they don't have mirrors sticking out, and the handle bar's height is below car mirror's height. And if it does get really tight, you simply lift it up onto the footpath to pass the big truck that's blocking the way, then go back down onto the road again.

Have you ever tried? Even without considering putting on/off motorcycle gear (because not everyone does that) a pushie won't be beaten in the inner city traffic. Maybe if the city was on a steep incline and the 'race' would be only uphill, but otherwise I don't see how a motorbike would have a chance against a pushie (unless of course the pushbike rider is a very unfit person).

14. I think it was Sydney storey by the SMH that got published by the Age too.

http://www.smh.com.au/interactive/2008/national/great-transport-race/index.html

As to pushing up our profile at the expense of push bikes; why?

We should be united as alternatives to cars. whilst ever we bicker amongst ourselves, the mentality that car drivers own the roads (and all others are in the way) will persist.

15. I'd love to see one decent lane for pushbikes AND M/C's. I'm sure we could get on and keep out of each others way - stay left unless overtaking ;)
    Cars get the outer lane and have to wait (in their big long queue) if they want to turn left.
    Motorbike parking 1/5 the cost of car parking (by size) - in the multi storeys.

Problem solved.

By the way, push bike riders are gay, FACT* (and there's no way they're going up my lane)
    Cat amongst the pigeons gentleman, carry on .............

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Or just halve the left lane, left half for push and right half for moto

17. Heck I would pass 15000 cars on the monash every morning I reckon....

• Like Like x 1
  18. But that would be too easy - no car chicane to fight through.

• Like Like x 1
  19. A race is a bad idea, it just goes towards confirming the average anti motorbike Joes opinion of motorbike riders.

A better idea would be to work out a way to demonstrate that we are on the same page and that motorbike riders and push bike riders can get along.

Also, you'd want to be careful where you lay down the challenge. I ride both and assuming you do the race though inner suburbs and obery the laws my monies on the pushie.

20. While I doubt that its (a race) ever going to happen. I disagree that the pushie would win. Its a case of over what distance the race is held. Fitzroy to the city - maybe the pushie. Blackburn to the City - the M/C.

Now, divided loyalties poses a problem. The pity is that bicycles and motorcycles can't unite to fight their common 4 wheeled foe - the one that poses the greatest threat to them both.