Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Time for a Check Up

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Bladewar, Feb 6, 2005.

1. OK, there is a few too many downs going on lately, and there are a few things that we can all do to help minimise the risk of it happenning. Or if it does that we are properly prepared to deal with it.

First, other than ability is wether or not the bike you are riding is in complete and proper working order. When was the last time you went over your bike?? Go on, have a look, check things such as chain tension, brake fluid, tyre pressure, tread depth, brake pad thickness, brake disc thickness, radiator fluid, chain lubrication, missing screws, correctly set up brake and clutch levers, correctly adjusted clutch cable (slack etc) lubricated cluch cable. (a few drops of oil down there and then pump the lever) check for oil leaks and oil level, or loose screws ( no not those operating the machine :p ) make sure all your indicators work, and headlight tail light. also the brake light works with imput from BOTH levers.

Second, when did we last practise emergency manouvers? COUNTER STEERING, EMERGENCY BRAKING. go and practise (dont try the braking with stone cold tyres :) ) a good place is a carpark try things such as riding in a big wide arc, then treat it as if oyu have run wide. straightn the bike up and then go into emergency braking or use the same arc and try to tighten up.
    THIRD, wear alll the correct protective gear. protection for yourself goes a long way if your sliding tit first down the black top.

There is bound to be some more information on this type of topic from an erlier post, but it needs to be said, you dont want to test your bike for the first time on the road and in an emergency,you want to know it will work for you when it is needed.
    This will help you know where the limits are on your bike and your own riding abilities. getting to know that spot in the brake where you can pull up the fastest is very important or how much you can lean over
    Dont forget to have a go at things like the braking and counter steering both UP and DOWN hill because it will greatly affect how your bike handles and stops.

P.S.give it a go and use common sense, dont drop it by doing some things like grabing front brake whilst cranked over. or on bang smakc cold tyres or aiming for the puddles in the car park ( but at the same token do try it in the wet) its advice and im not making you do this. mistakes come with the learning process.

Shiny side up folks !

2. Jeeepers!!! Going by that, I shouldn't have gone on the ride today!!! I had no left indicator, a lose chain, worn sprockets, missing screws in the fairings, missing a fairing, no idea about oil/fluid levels, brake pads??? ummm, chain lubed? not in a couple of months.
    As for practising emergency braking etc, does watching a group of learners in a car park for about 5 hours count?

Errr, i think I will have to put a day aside this week for the bike WITHOUT riding it :oops: ;)

3. I got plenty of practice at emergency braking today, nothing like skipping along on your front wheel and pulling up in time to find the limits of your braking.

4. Oh.... and we all know about my Oil filter.
    Don't we Marty!!!! :p