Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by kingy, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Hey guys

Just wondering i have been ridding dirt bikes/motards for the past 4 yrs.. i have recently bought myself a Honda Shadow VT750 for a daily and a 06 harley fatboy... about a yr ago..

i keep forgetting sometimes i am on a cruiser and nearly end up hitting barriers on really tight bends...
    for example yesterday going down macquarie pass.. i was shitting bricks..

any tips/ ideas on how to get me to corner the big cruisers around corners ??
    yes i know to look through the corner etc etc etc.. i think its my nerves as the bikes are so much heavier then the old dirt bikes etc..
    also much lower... i sc****d out heaps yesterday causing the bike to stand upright...
    i hug the tank best i can anyway with my knees..
    some corners going down i had to put back into first gear and really slowly get around them.. maybe the 25k bends...

all help and advise would be great.
  2. The selection of a pair of tights to wear under your chaps is something of a personal decision.
    "Does it accentuate my package?", "Will it match my eyepatch?", and "Do any of the other pirates in my crew already wear this colour?", are just a few considerations to be made.
    Good luck Kingy, and "Aaaargh"...
    • Like Like x 7
  3. classic
  4. Right tool for the right job. The handy hint is usually in the name for the style of bike you're riding. Cruisers are excellent at cruising and as a result compromise on the other aspects of being a bike. Sports bikes excel at being sporty, but aren't always that comfortable for a long leisurely cruise.

The bottom line is that cruisers are not as responsive or forgiving in corners and if you go in too fast you could end up with a problem because countersteering for an agile change in line can cause you to grind a peg or other bike part. Not that this is likely to be a problem for the bike but if the rider is not prepared for it then it could cause a sudden reflexive jerk in your steering and cause you to alter your line to a worse one. It's really a case of mental adjustment to riding and if it helps, consider how expensive it will be to replace all that shiny chrome if you screw up and go for a slide. That tends to keep me a little more 'cruisey' through the bends.

Personally I prefer to start slow into a corner and once I can see the exit crank up the torque and push out of the corner. It may not feel as fast as sports bike cornering but you'll run into a lot less problems that way.

You might also want to look into your suspension set up too as I know on mine it's quite soft and no doubt I'm losing some cornering ability because of that. Personally I'm happy to sacrifice that for better spine protection when I hit a bump.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. sounds like my problem... i was hitting corners down mac pass last weekend.. not a problem but i would look in the mirror see a bloke on a sporty right up me ass.. felt bad for the bloke pulled to the side and let him pass.. i followed him through some corners and was amazed how different it was to corner...
  6. Having owned both and currently riding a CBR1000rr, I can tell you that yes Sportbikes are the ducks nuts in the corners, theres nothing like cranking it right over in the twisties at a very decent pace. However for those long highway jaunts or weekend cruises along the beach front, not even the airhawk and helibars can compare to the comfort of my old crusier. When my mortgage is no longer eating up my whole pay packet I plan to have both
  7. My cruiser cornering theory is pretty much like Fragbaits.

That being said, 9 times out of 10 getting somewhere fast is a direct clash with my reasons for being on a cruiser in the first place :)