Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tightening Spark Plugs

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by rodgerdodger, Apr 8, 2005.

1. I was just wondering how necessary it is to tighten the spark plugs with a torque wrench after having replaced them. The manual specifically says that while a quarter to a half turn past finger tight is ok you need to have the correct torque as soon as possible. However in all the guides and advice I've read it seems as if it's almost no problem to just rip them out and throw them back in and all is good (slight exaggeration but you get the idea), the only thing having stopped me is the warning in the manual.

So what's the advice from everyone, what do you do? And if a torque wrench is necessary where do you get a decent one from? I've had a look in the usual places (auto stores, hardware stores) and all they've got are giant near metre long wrenches that'd never be practical on a bike and look like they were used to put something like the titanic together. Cheers.

2. Just put them in and tighten 1/4-1/2 turn after it has been finger tightened.
    They manual will always quote torque figures.
    Don't worry about it as they will always print these figures to cover their arses in case you overtighten the plugs to the point you break them in the cylinder head.
    (no one can be that silly surely)

3. good advice from martyh, in my dim dark days of apprentice we were always told to put a drop of oil on the thread.

With new plugs the metal washer will compress and seal perfectly with the 1/4-1/2 turn. After a couple of remove-replaces of the same plug, the seal will be knackered and a torque wrench won't help.

JJ