Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tight U-turns for NSW Ps test

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Ajawi, Feb 9, 2005.

1. I can almost but not quite get the tight u-turn in the Ps test. this is vital cos going outside the box loses you 5 of a possible 8 points - that's what stuffed up my first attempt. I know my big problem is I cant help but look where the line is instead of where I want to end up, I'm practising!! But... in doing the actual turn, do I try to keep the bike pretty much upright, pull the handlebars full lock and counter lean, is that the method?

2. Go to an industrial area (on a sunday) and mark out a dead end with the box. Make it bigger to start with.

At this speed I tend to stay upright and lean the bike. Use plenty of rear brake and definetly no front.

As you get the hang of it make your box smaller untill its smaller then the actual test you have to do.

It's good to practice, because you use a similar technique on small roundabouts.
  3. What sort of bike are you riding?

When I did my P's, there was a very cool Canadian there who try as he might could not make the U turn. We puzzled about it all afternoon and fianlly figured out that his Kwakas wheel base was just a little too big.

My suggestion, if you're on a big (long wheel base) bike, borrow a mates' bike for the test...
  4. Pete, you might be on to something, I ride a Kwaka too, zzr250. I might hire one of the little beasties they offer, couple of guys did that at my first course, seemed to do it easy. Thanks. And of course, I'll practice in the meantime.
  5. I ride a zzr250 and have heard from quite a few people that they are really hard to pass the P's test on. I am planning on hiring one for the day for sure! Apparently it is heaps easy to pass on the Stay Upright bikes :)
  6. Thanks for your input guys, seems the consensus is the ZZR 250 has a slightly too long wheelbase. I have been practising , actually out on the testing range, can almost but not quite get it. Ps test tomorrow, have arranged the hire of one of Ride it Right's bikes. let you know how it goes.
  7. Maybe they'll loan you a monkey bike to make it a bit easier :LOL: :LOL:

Seriously, Best of luck on your ps tomorrow. Hope it goes well for you.
  8. Promised I'd let you know, so damn it I failed Ps test. Used one of their bikes, got the cone weave and u-turn I was so worried about really easy (so my ZZR did have something to do with it). Missed on the emergency brake thing. the guy warned me about the brakes and he was right. I overcompensated and lost balance. Didn't drop it but enough to miss out. Ah well, try again next week.