Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tight right hander - ran wide

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by tiggers, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Hey guy’s,

A quick question on right handers; up until a putty run on Saturday, if you’d asked me if I have a preference on left or right handers I would have said no, but it seems that I’m struggling with tight right handers.

I ran wide on a right hander this weekend, heading towards the crash barrier on the outside of the turn, then made things worse by grabbing the front brake which made me run even wider. Just before I was about to hit the gravel, I looked where I wanted to go then tipped in and came out ok but shitting myself :busting:.

Here’s what I think I did wrong:-

1. Came in too hot (not enough prep for the corner, left braking to late)
    2. Looked at the barrier (target fixation)
    3. Grabbed the front brake (SR’s kicked in)

I think the issue may be that on right handers, if you hold the wider line (staying out) before tipping in your heading towards the outside of the turn. I try to pick my tipping in point, when I get to it turn my head and look for the exit.

Spent the rest of the day working on this; I’m ok at a steady pace but I can’t seem to get as smooth as I am on left handers – other than practise, do you have any suggestions or tips for dealing with right handers?

2. Most people have a preference for once direction over another and for most it is left handers, so what you are saying is pretty normal.
  3. Many reasons. Normally the camber of the road is off also.
  4. BTW tiggers, good to see you are analyzing your error. That is the only way to begin to ensure they don't recurr.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. So important to LOOK where you WANT to be. Not where your going!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Doesnt work so well when off the bike. I have been slapped by too many women for looking where i want to be.
    • Like Like x 9
  7. Got that bit right at the last minute;

Went something like this

This is gonna hurt F**K F**K F**K

F**K F**K F**K - thank F**K for that.
  8. Yes, know that language; been there!
  9. One of the scary things about right handers is how easy it is to have your head on the wrong side of the road. I know, if your are taking the right line it shouldn't happen but it is so easy to do and I've seen too many riders do it. Some of them haven't survived.

I haven't developed a preference for either right or left handers but I have been pleasantly surprised at how much I have sometimes been able to tighten a line. The pleasantness kicks in a few seconds after the "oh shit" adrenalin surge has happened.
  10. Sounds like you turned in too early then turned too slowly. Do a course! Superbike School is good at that stuff.
  11. I have read somewhere that on right handers some people when leaning into the corner can be hanging on the throttle a little bit. Maybe hanging off on that side some people might be unknowingly applying a little bit of throttle and running in deep or sending you wide. Who knows there are so many guides to riding and everyone has different theories...
  12. If I am at the track and hanging off. I prefer rights.
    But my left shoe wears out first......
    • Like Like x 1
  13. In that case, put your left shoe on your right foot and you won't wear it out Bretto!
    There...sorted :)
  14. That's an excellent bit of self diagnosis, tiggers. You're being honest with yourself and through that, you'll get genuine answers.

I think you are pretty right with what probably happened, and why.

One item to draw your attention to. (apart from my insistence that riders learn to brake in corners proficiently)
    That is... That it is possible to brake and turn at the same time. One often hears, new riders parroting not to 'hit' the brakes mid corner because the bike will stand up and go straight ahead.
    In a sense it can become a self fulfilling prophecy.

The truth is, that the front brake tries to stand the bike up, but that doesn't mean you have to allow that to happen.
    If you need to use the front brake you can maintain your directional control by applying more force on the inside bar to keep it turning. The bike will only stand up if you let it happen.
    Edit: I should mention here, that you are dividing the amount of grip between cornering grip and braking grip. If you need more of one, you will have less of the other. Grip is finite, and it's a matter of using it judiciously. So no grabbing a handful - just squeeze progressively, and in many cases it can be enough to get you around the corner, or at least washing off enough speed that if you do go down, it may not be quite so destructive.
    Ie grab a handful and the bike will more than likely spear off into the trees, or rock face, or worse if that's possible.
    It's a prime example of why 'slow in fast out' is preached for regular road riding. But even on corners you know very well, travel through every day, there are no guarantees that it'll be all clear every time. A ped, a car parked or broken down can still be waiting for you, so you've gotta be ready.

I would like to see you (everyone for that matter) going through some corners and while using the throttle to maintain your speed, apply a little front brake and then compensating with a little more force on the bars to keep it turning. Try it at varying degrees of the forces at play, and become good at it.
    When it happens for real, you'll understand it and know how to maintain control.
    If you CAN get good at it, then given the number of times it will happen, you'll
    Be able to maintain control, and fight off that SR, and generally feel in more control.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Thanks Raven, a great post. I'll head out to a car park and and give it a go; do you think running figure of eights with the front brake trailing would work as a way to practise?

I saw a great diagram that helped me get the idea about grip management, it was difficult concept to grasp at first. Like how do you know how much grip you have left from cornering so you can also apply the brakes if needed.

Unfortunatley the diagram is in a book so I can't post it; the Poilice riders handbook (great suggestion from robsalv)

I'll give it a go this weekend.
  16. In my QRide I was told it can be to do with the way the brain is wired and hence some people having a "preference" to turn a certain way. Whatever the reason, I reeeeally struggled with right-hand turns; constantly ended up in the bush, for the two QRide days. Next time I came back a couple weeks later, it just seemed to come together. Of course I can only imagine addressing the issues you identified would help, whatever the cause. Good stuff being analytical. :)

Hmm, I'm now curious to test how tight my u-turns can get turning both left and right and see which way goes better for me these days.

Raven, that's interesting about the front brake. With tight turns, I dropped the bike using front brake (possibly went for it too much? But I got a foot up the ass as I was told "don't touch that front brake"), but I find I can really dig hard with the rear brake to adjust in a corner. Don't mind -gentle- front brake in a wider corner but still prefer the rear. Always something I've been curious about. Seems there are a fair few conflicting understandings out there. More theory time for me methinks.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Seems there are a fair few conflicting understandings out there. More theory time for me methinks.[/QUOTE]

Same here, been doing some reading. The right hander issue has only just started. I think its down to me being a bit quicker through the corners that started it.

I think my body position may suck :) after watching some youtube vids and thats another area to work on.

A bit of self diagnosis; I'm getting my arse across the seat to the inside of the corner OK, but I don't think I'm moving the shoulders across enough, not turning the shoulder to the apex - does that make sense?

I've only got a couple of years on a bike under my belt (or helmet) so I don't expect to get everything right.

A big thanks to the NR crew - always helpful, insightful and ready to take the p1ss =D>
  18. I wouldn't worry about your body position too much, concentrate on braking, line and throttle control.

Nothing I hate more than seeing a rider all crossed up trying to hang off when there is absolutely no need on the road the majority of the time.

19. #19 tiggers, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Hi mate,

Thanks for that, just curious why you don't think body position isn't worth working on?

20. One of the things that the schools teach is to identify and 'lock in' the turn in point, and then move your focus ahead through the turn, but keeping your awareness of the turn in point in your peripheral vision.
    By this they mean that you remain aware of the turn in point, but are no longer looking directly at it as you get close. Your visual focus has moved forward, preparing you for the next part of the turn.