Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tight headstem after low speed drop

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Bravus, Aug 3, 2011.

1. I laid the Bandit down on grass at the edge of the road, at very low speed, after taking evasive action for someone stopping to turn right and getting onto grass on a steep downhill. Partly their fault for coming to a complete stop despite there being no on-coming traffic, mostly mine because I was eying a car parked nearby wondering if it was an unmarked cop car and not paying full attention to the one in front of me. Twisted my ankle slightly under the bike but apart from that no damage to me or it, just a mirror pushed in.

The bar-end did hit the road, but didn't get ground down at all, that's how slow it was. When I got back on, the steering just seemed a tad tighter and less fluid. Not notchy at all, not catching, just tighter. I've had it come back like that from a service where the headstem bearings were replaced, and it loosened up again after a while. It seems to be loosening (or I'm getting used to it!), but I did have horrible visions of what would happen if a headstem bearing froze through a corner.

Do I have anything to worry about?

2. From the description of your fall, no. I have had two bikes with enough impact to bend forks and the steering head was fine. In saying that there was no significant impact to the bars.
    I would pull the top tripple and bearing and have a good look. Put the top tripple on a granite table to check if it is still flat?...
  3. Triple clamps are probably slightly twisted, should be pretty easy to rectify.
  4. Yeah I'd be getting the front off the ground, loosening everything up and tightening it again. Having a good look around whilst I was there.
  5. It's pretty good practice to loosen your triples after any fall as it's pretty easy to twist your forks.