Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tight downhill bends

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by DaveS, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Hi,
    I went for a ride last night down to Killcare, just before you get to the waterfront you need to negotiate a series of tight hairpin-type bend on a fairly steep incline.
    I just slwed down going in to the bend then countersteered through and it felt ok (felt great actually!!!); is this the right technique or should you use engine breaking and rear brake?

Dave

2. Tight downhill bends are one of the most dangerous things you can encounter.
    Break to late and lose the front, break with the engine or rear and you can risk losing the back, don’t break late enough and the hill starts building up your speed and end up running wide. On top of all of this the road is “falling away’ from you, so you don’t have as much traction.

Yes you use the same technique as any other bend, but have to be more carful about where you apply breaks and power. As such you want to have you line right to give you the best possibilities for all of this.

3. Shhh don't tell Rob but dragging a little rear brake will help stop the bike from speeding up. Do not increase rear brake pressure while turning, drag the brake just hard enough to stop the bike building speed. If you approach these corners as if the road was wet you will be fine as FL said you have a lot less traction available.

4. Safest option is to have a lower corner entry speed to begin with.

5. and roll on the throttle through the turn

6. You are using your rear brake to maintain your entry speed as you turn, not to slow the bike down.

7. +1,

I hate trying to go downhill "quickly", because instead of your brakes being far more powerful than your engine's acceleration, it's the other way around. Much caution required, regardless of your vehicle.

Falconlord answered the full intent of the OP's specific question. :)

Oh - I do have something of my own to add. I find it's easiest to use a very late apex on this kind of turn (in laymans' terms, stay as wide as you can within your lane, if it's safe to do so), so that you're riding on the "flat" part of the road instead of being on the inside of the turn where the road "falls away" rapidly.

8. Yes, and it can help to shift down 1 gear and use engine braking to hold your speed, rather than have very low RPMs where the engine braking is low and speed will build up.

I also find it makes a HUGE difference on downhill bends if you have your forks set up firm enough, instead of too soft.

9. Yes! yes! yes!

Set the corner speed early, then roll on as usual. You will probably find
    immediately after completing the corner, you will need to roll off and brake to set the next corner entry speed.

10. Only crack it open though, because your pointing steep downhill you don't want to pick up so much speed it forces to wide. Thats just in my limited experience though.

11. by throttling out of the turn it helps stability of the bike, one other thing i picked up when doing the inter. hart course late last year, which was when doing the slalom course if you give the throttle a slight stab, it will basically pick the bike up and out of the corner quicker allowing you more time to set for the next turn. I use this technique on tight twisties and has worked pretty well for me

12. It's OK Blue, you can tell me :p

This is a different situation to coming into a corner too hot and using rear in an attempt to wash off speed. Like you said, you're trying to keep the bike's down hill speed under control.

Throwing my hat into the ring, use engine braking and front and/or rear braking to keep your speed within traction limits - I'd probably favour the rear brake if speeds are down. Using a lower gear helps, but can make throttle control choppy.

How'd I do?

13. Yea I like to use engine braking as well but I think it is more dangerous for a new rider to do. The natural reaction to the rear wheel skidding is to reduce throttle but in this situation you need to increase throttle slightly to reduce rear wheel braking effect with out increasing road speed. This is relatively easy to do with the r1 (carby bike) but down right tricky to do with the 14 unless your revs are high enough that the torque curve has flattened out. After all that rambling I agree with you on this one. :wink:

14. you suck! :p

hmmm its good reading everyones opinions in all these type of questions, just oogd to know as many possibilities as possible, and then have u guys "discuss" the best technique, like 'other' threads hahaha.

then i can go out and try a few methods and see what i like and what works and what doesnt :)

15.  Top
  16. Using the rear brake (in addition to the front) to wash off speed is obviously fine. However, suggest that a newbie use the rear brake to control speed through a downhill corner worries me. Asside from the consequences of locking the rear wheel, it requires far more consentration than a new rider can afford to give it. The key to controlling speed downhill is gear selection. Select a gear that is low enough that some throttle needs to be used simply to maintain a constant speed. This means that engine braking can be used to slow the bike before the corner and control speed through the corner.

Yes, as with any corner you need to use some throttle to settle the bike. If your gear is too high the bike will accellerate faster than expected due to gravity helping the decent. A low gear will help you provide enough throttle to settle the bike without it running way from you. It does on the other hand rquire you to be relaxed as you need a gentle hand on the throttle at high revs. :)

17. i wish i had read this thread before i first rode my bike, it would of been muchly helpful.

18. What happened mate?

19. As long as you don't get hurt a good kick in the pride is good for all of us every now and then! Take care out there, lots of idiots out and about this weekend. :cool: