Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tight Clutch?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by FBI, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Hey everyone, this is my first post, so I hope you don't mind me getting to the point. I haven't ridden for a while, and have decided to get back into it on my old bike, which has been patiently waiting for me in the back of the shed.

It's a 'classic' bike, 1980 Suzuki 450, I've got it running again but I have a slight problem, and this is something thats been consistant since I bought the bike. The clutch lever is very tight, incredibly tight, and is hard to pull in. I've ridden a few bikes, and never have I come across one this tight, and was hoping someone here might be able to advise whether there is anything that can be done to help make it softer? It's going to give me hand cramps by the time I get to the end of the street at this rate.

Thoughts guys? I tried to have a workshop look at it a year ago, but everyone I called told me to GAGF because the bike was more than 10 years old, am at a loss here.

2. g'day and welcome FBI.
    Drop a thread in the welcome section and introduce yourself.

My old bike had a nasty clutch.

Make sure the cable is well oiled

Replacing the clutch cable can make a vast difference. Making a new clutch cable isn't too bad if you can't find a new one. A bit of grease on the gear lever can also help.
  3. Hi and welcome to the forum :) Common problem with these old bikes, drop some lubrication into the cable and adjust your clutch lever just like a bicycle brake, that should fix your problem. Otherwise take the cable off and inspect it. Tell us how you go. Regards, Stef