Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tiger xcx

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Boily, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Hello new member here, I'm thinking of getting a triumph tiger xcx 800, is it a good choice as there seems to be a few bikes in the adventure category?

2. welcome aboard :] cant help with your choice of bike guess it depends on how much road / trail riding you will be doing

3. Exactly, think about the type of riding you're going to be doing. In my opinion an adventure bike should always be your second bike, next to the one you use all the time....

4. Hi and welcome, you have great taste in bikes.
    tiger 800.

5. Cheers, I can only afford one bike and will be more road based however, there will be plenty of fire trails etc to have a fang on. Is the tiger as good as a bmw gs?

6. Hi Boily.

I'm a happy Tiger 800 owner. I've done 40,000ks on my 2012 model (not an XC) on all types of roads and tracks. Most of my riding is on the tar but I've had occasion to ride unsealed roads and, very occasionally, fire trails.

Firstly, a comparison with the BMW F800 GS. I test rode one of those and loved it - except for the seat and the screen. If you read the test reports they will say the bikes are very similar with the BMW being slightly better on the dirt and the Tiger being slightly better on the tar. The thing that stopped me from buying a BMW after I test rode it was the price, nearly $21K at the time.

I find that the Tiger is a good touring bike. It gets about 20km/l or 5l/100ks. The seat is very comfy and good for 2 hours without being unbearable. The screen has some buffeting (but not as much as I remember from the BMW) but after riding a CB1300S for 5 years with it's nice low screen, I've lowered the screen on my Tiger as far as I can with a couple of small aluminium stays to hold it in place. I'll take a pic of this if you're interested.

As for dirt, the bike is a hoot if you want it to be. It's soooo easy to spin up the back wheel if you're into sliding out of corners. For a dirt trip I fitted a Pirelli MT60 on the front 'cos the standard Pirelli Scorpion Trail wasn't grippy enough when braking on dirt. The MT60 saved my bacon a number of times on dirt roads and tracks.

The bike even seems to handle sand pretty well. I'm not a fan of sand and when I took a track in the Gardens of Stone National Park near Lithgow I struck quite a lot of sand and apart from tightening my ring severely, me and the bike survived.

The other thing about dirt riding was the ability of the bike to happily change direction on bumpy, rocky hills to avoid that rock, stump or step in the track that can bring you undone. But I didn't like the noise that the suspension made when the bike was bouncing over rocks. I think I exceeded its design specs that day.

If you plan on riding on rough dirt regularly, fit some crash bars and a knobby front tyre.

Have fun with your decision.

Ian

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Hello and welcome to the forum,Boily,
    Being a bit Trumpet biased at times8-| I must say that the Tiger 800 xc is my pick of the Tigers, with plenty of bike for the money.
    and like they say in the add, "its no ordinary adventure bike"... go on, take one for a spin ;-)
    Irish

8. Thanks for the advice I would like to see a photo of your screen mods

9. Thanks for all the input guys

10. Hi Boily.

Having trouble uploading pics.

When I sort it out I'll post some pics of the stays I use to hold the lowered screen in place.

Ian

11. Welcome to the forum mate! You've come to the right place for advice!

12. Howdy, Welcome to the forum! There will be plenty of people here who can offer advice.

13. my newest obsession is how can I add a Tiger 800 xc to the stable;) i spent much of yesterday sitting on one at the dealership:rolleyes:.... didnt help my disturbed sleep either

14. Hi Boily,

I have a street triple R, which I love, but for everyday riding and especially if you do some two up the Tiger would be sweet.

I test rode one with my wife on the back the other week and it was really nice, I found it steered a lot slower (obviously) but bumpy roads were a revelation and on the dirt it was a hoot.

I'd like to have both, oh and the Daytona R in black for my track bike.

15. Hi again Boily.

Pic up load issue sorted (Thanks Jason) so here are the pics I mentioned.

First pic shows the simple alloy stay that holds the screen in place.

Screen bracket sml.

Second pic tries to show how far the screen is laid back. The screen is hinged at the front and the amount it can lay back is limited by the places where the screen touches the headlight assembly. In the first pic you can see where the screen touches.

Screen position small.

I think Power Bronze have a fly screen for the Tiger but I haven't bothered with that as I've got used to what I've done.

I do have a Triumph accessory screen lowering kit in my shed that I no longer require. Cost about $80 I think. It lasted about 200 - 300 ks before I ditched it and used the little bits of alloy to hold the screen.

Regards

Ian

16. Thanks for the input guys and photos deroman.
    Guess what I'm now considering the motor guzzi stelvio. It's a lot bigger and heavier but it is cool as and sounds awesome.
    Choosing just one bike is too fcuken hard.

17. I was at Arkaroola back in September and there was a guy there with his new, current model Stelvio. It's a big machine.

This guy had ridden from Coober Pedy and was heading for Innamincka. He was an experienced rider but he dropped it in sand a couple of times on his way to Arkaroola. I heard he also dropped it in sand on the Strezlecki Track. Lucky he had some crash bars fitted.

If you're not planning on remote riding on potentially sandy tracks, big bikes like the Stelvio and the BMW GS are fine. I once owned a Honda Varadero (similar weight to the early GSs) and it was a great bike - as long as the surface wasn't sandy. Heavy bikes and sandy tracks don't mix too well - in my personal experience anyway. I did a trip to Innamincka on a DR650 and it was great - until the sand got deep. Even the DR was too heavy for me in the real loose stuff.

Good luck with your decision making.

Ian

• Funny Funny x 1