Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ticking noise under seat

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by chubbs5, Jan 10, 2007.

1. hello,

my gsx250f across is having major problems. before xmas my bike just shut off on freeway , 0 revs, and lights still on. wouldnt start, was trying to but wouldnt go. next morning started ok. happened again next day but waited an hour then started ok.

there was always a noise under the seat before i started the bike , like a ticking noise. previously it slowed and went away. now since i came back from overseas, the ticking noise goes crazy,, really fast and doesnt really go away,, and bike wont start. i changed drained oil, changed oil filter, charged battery, changed air filter, and got it even started a few times, but only with choke, and now as soon as i try to give it revs, it dies

my mate reckons it could be the fuel pump but im not sure. can anyone point me in the right direction ?
  2. You haven't been near Baghdad recently?????

Seriously, this guy might be able to help, he seems to know all the about Across model, but also heaps of people here have/had the model as well. It DOES sound like a fuel pump to me.....

3. bad battery terminal connections.

Put some aluminium foil between the terminals and the posts.

Also check wires from regulator to battery.
  4. The ticking noise under the seat is the fuel pump priming itself.

Quite normal when starting up. If it doesn't stop then it is typically indicative of a lack of fuel flow - fuel tap turned off for example.
  5. yep, fuel pump, if it doesn't stop ticking, AND you have fuel in the tank, then there's a blockage between tank and pump. (also why the thing stopped on the freeway)

6. The best forum for info on the Across is on this Across forum - you'll find some very knowledgeable people there.

Trust me, you'll find pretty much everything you need to know about your bike there. :)
  7. ok thanks ill maybe have a look a the hoses connected to the fuel pump.

i might just end up giving to a mechanic, seems mechanics its just not my thing