Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ticking noise coming from Ninja 250r

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by NinjaKid, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Hi guys,
    So couple minutes ago when i was getting ready for bed, went to check my baby, i notice that theres this ticking sound coming from under the fairings, i tried to record it but the speaker couldnt pick up the sound so well, so being the bike noob that i am, is this normal? I ran a quick search on google and no luck only thing i can find is if the engine is on and the loud clicking noise comes up, but here my engine is shut off and its cold, its like a constant dripping sound like a drop of water hitting the fairing but theres nothing leaking down on my bike?
    When i hop on the noise stopped, when i hold the fairings too the noise stopped, its like something is happening in there
    Is it normal guys?

2. Metal ticks when it's cooling. Was it ridden just before you heard it?
    It's also possible that coolant was returning to the radiator from an overflow or similar (usually normal).
    It does seem odd if the bike is stone cold.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. I was going to say the same thing but he said that his engine was cold. NinjaKid Have you noticed any water build up or patches next to the bike?

4. +1 to Titus, although he missed you said it was cold, the question is how cold. Metal contraction sounds may occur for many hours after it has ridden. The cooling system as Titus said can burble and tick as fluids cool.

As you say the noise stops when you hold the fairing it may be just the fairing shifting on its mounts. Wait overnight then see if it is still occurring when it is stone cold in the morning.

5. Hi guys, so i checked her up this morning and the tick seems to go away probably just some metal shifting or something or like what titus said which is normal odd thing is that it was stone cold, i rode it yest and when i went down to check, the bike been sitting for at least 10 hours, luckily there were no water build up or anything dripping so, i guess its normal?

• Like Like x 2
  6. If the ticking becomes consistent it might be the beginning of cam chain/tensioner issues.
    TBH I would get a manual tensioner for that bike anyway...
    Might be worth looking into if problems persist.