Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ticket Parking for Bikes

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by LimaEchoOscar, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Hi Guys,

This question may seem silly but is bugging me for quite some time now but here it is.

Just so people don't get the laws confused I am talking about Sydney, NSW.

You are on a street looking for a park and everywhere you see is just spots where you have to get one of those ticket from the meter. Now ideally in a car you just stick it on your windscreen.

But what the hell do you do for a bike? Cause you could stick it anywhere on your bike, only for some cheapo to pinch it and you come back to your bike and there is a ranger standing there writing you a ticket.

So can anyone please explain whats the deal with parking in ticket meter areas for bikes?

2. Park on the sidewalk, its free! :p

3. Shhh Kara this is NSW :p

In Sydney you're actually supposed to put the ticket on the bike (in theory). But you'd be a dunce if you did since it would blow away / be stolen.

Government hasn't really got their act together on this, and short of a long series of assassinations to make the point, nothing is going to be done soon.

If you're going to buy a ticket, take it with you. Most ticket inspectors won't fine, but if you do, you send the appeal with the ticket, that you've kept. What a bs system..

4. I was thinking along the same lines as you, but has anyone been in this situation? Was it "difficult" to lodge an appeal?

The System sucks for the laws of parking and tollway when it comes to bikes!

5. what part of sydney??

when i lived on the north shore, all you had to do was park in lets say parking bay 4 go to ticket machine press No. 4 and put in $$$ and no ticket is issued

parking inspector comes along to ticket machine presses parking bay numbers see's who has over stayed and starts to issue tickets

6. Yeh but not all metered/paid parking have that facility - you still come across spaces where a ticket is printed. e.g parramatta and a few more can't remember off the top of my head.

7. Buy the paper ticket and put it in your pocket. If you get a fine, all you do is produce the ticket you bought and explain there was nowhere to put it without risk of the ticket being stolen/blown away, etc and they let you off the fine.

Bit of a pain in the arse, but it works. I would think that parking inspectors can't be so dim as to book a bike. Maybe if you had overstayed the parking limit. Its never actually happened to me, though, as I am a lucky Mexican! :wink:

8. or not buy a ticket

then ask someone that has and they dont need there ticket and use that :)

i did

9. As lil said, I'm glad I live in Melbourne, sidewalk parking is a dream :)

Also as lil said, i'd get the ticket and produce it later IF you get a bike...
    Then go home and re-produce daily tickets, for whenever you need one, on the pc ;)

10. Just keep the ticket with you... if you get fined, send in the ticket with the fine :)

11. i posted this question before and my solution was to leave the ticket on the bike but take a pic of the ticket make sure the writing is visible and that way u have evidence.

12. Probably better to send a photocopy of the ticket. You know how things get 'lost'.

13. Valid point :wink: