Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC [Thursday] Pete's Mystery Ride

Discussion in 'VIC' started by Dazzler, Jan 31, 2011.

1. #1 Dazzler, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    PURPOSE: Evening mystery ride on Thursdays. Only the Ride Leader and the Tail End Charlie (TEC) know the destination.

WHEN: Every Thursday; rain, hail or glorious Melbourne sunshine.
    MEET/DEPARTURE: 7:00pm for a 7:30 departure

START POINT DETAILS as of August 15th, 2013
    Shell Servo, Warrigal Rd Oakleigh, Cnr Princes Hwy
    Shell fuel (BP across the road) and Subway, Hungry Jacks and KFC for food/coffee/toilets.

DURATION: This ride is of three hours duration, but sometimes longer.

RIDES: This is a level three and four ride (moderate to competent riders), class definitions are here.
    This ride is a gathering of like-minded riders with the simple objective of a pleasant social ride.
    This ride is the next level above the Goldilocks ride.
    By taking part in this ride you agree that:
    * You are responsible for yourself and your own safety.
    * You ride at your own risk.
    * No liability or responsibility is assumed in any way by the ride leader or the TEC for the consequences of yours or any other persons acts or omissions.
    * You expressly indemnify the ride leader and TEC against any claim that may arise from a ride.

If you come along, then you are deemed to understand this, and participate entirely at your own risk.

WHO: This event is open to Netrider Members and Registered Users. The ride leader takes that job knowing that less experienced riders may turn up and in that case must plan the route accordingly. The TEC rides at the very back and knows it may be a slow ride for them. They take the role willingly and there is abosolutely no reason for less experienced riders to feel they're holding someone up. TEC is there to help and doesn't care how slow you ride. But you must let them know if you are new.

Be on time at the meet point with a full tank of fuel and an empty bladder. Experienced and willing leaders and tail end charlies are especially welcome as are those that wish to learn these skills. If you come along regularly and you are a Registered User not a Member, we encourage you to join.

This is a responsible ride, so anti-social behaviour will be discouraged.

HOW-TO/ETIQUETTE: we use the standard NetRider corner marking system. If you don't know this, tell one of us during the rider briefing (better still find out). Above all else always ride your own ride and be safe and considerate of other road users including your ride buddies.

A word of advice to newer riders..., Because the ride is set to Level 3 and 4, it may involve some more experienced riders who ride at a pace that might seem very fast. This however, should not concern you. The TEC will always stay at the back and look after you. We do ask that you remember being a new rider means you are not as fast as a rider with more experience, and therefore you should never push your limits trying to keep up. We want every rider to ride within their own limits and at their own pace. There is no reason to feel that you will be a burden and there is no glory in being a fast rider, it is not a race. We are a friendly group and are genuinely pleased that you came to ride with us, so we do not want you to risk getting hurt.

On a group ride the main tool for group navigation is the process known as Corner Marking.

The lead rider is responsible for knowing the route to be taken by the group. On mystery rides, only the lead rider knows the destination and route so Cornermarking is essential.

Whenever a turn is made at an intersection, that turn needs to be marked so all riders in the group know to take that turn to avoid getting lost. Sometimes a Cornermarker will be left at a point where no turn is made but the direction is unclear (eg. a 3 point or odd shaped roundabout. If there is no corner marker, the riders must assume the ride continues straight according to legaly defined terms rather than actual direction (put simply, as the line markings dictate).

When the ride leader wants to make a turn he/she will indicate that turn. The leader will also point to a spot on the LEFT hand side of the road.

The rider directly behind the ride leader (ie, the corner marker) stops in that spot on the LEFT hand side of the road and indicates in the direction the ride leader traveled. If leader goes right, indicate right and vice versa. In larger groups or when there may be a security risk, the Ride Leader may specify two (2) markers per corner. Listen carefully to the ride briefing.

The Corner marker/s must maintain that position with the indicator on until ALL riders have past through the turn. This may take 5mins or 5 hrs, it doesn't matter. You will NOT be left behind. If you are left behind the ride leader will stop the group and go back for you.

The corner marker will know when ALL bikes have passed when the Tail End bike signals that no more bikes are coming. This signal will be honking the horn, waving and flashing high beams. At this point, let the tail end through, then make the turn and overtake TEC. Job well done.
    Corner Marking is easy and should not be a stressful job. It just requires patience and concentration. If you do not want to corner mark, ride at the back of the group to avoid it. Rule of thumb is to keep at least 2 bikes between yourself and the ride leader to avoid getting that position. If this is your 1st group ride, try to avoid marking corners until you've seen the process work.

Remember that extra concentration may be required in town to make sure the bike you see is correctly identified as Tail End. Traffic lights and traffic can break the group and there could be significant gaps between small groups of riders. Other bikes not involved in the ride may also give you a friendly wave. Be aware of what type of bike Tail End is riding and if you don't get a toot and a flash stay where you are.

Nb. if you are riding in the group, please don't confuse the Corner Marker by giving them a 'thank you' wave. If they think you are tail end, it will cause chaos. Please thank them at the end of the ride.

It is absolutely a requirement that a proper ride brief be given before the ride starts. This may be done my the ride leader or if you're not the public speaking type then a nominated spokesperson may do it for you.

The ride brief must include a description of the cornermarking process. The TEC must also be clearly pointed out with their bike so corner markers know NOT to leave the corner until TEC honks their horn at them.

It's also helpful to provide information of any hazards you expect, U-turns or corners that can't be marked for safety reasons. A reminder to ride safe and give each other plenty of space is also worth putting in the brief.

If you have any questions about the ride, corner marking or the ride leaders job (cause we'd like you to have a go at everything), please do not hesitate to ask.

PETER WILLOUGHBY- RIP (24/09/1965 - 19/06/2010)
    Peter was a longtime dedicated Netrider who rarely missed a Thursday ride. In fact it became his personal crusade. He was known to try and draft riders to come along, even if they just pulled into the BP for fuel.

From 2007 onwards, every winter and spring when the weather was foul, Pete and a few other hardy souls would be there and urging others to join in too. He tried to talk to everyone who came along and personally welcome them.

We were to find out later that he was riding in pain that none of us could imagine or even knew about, only hanging up his boots when he finally succumbed to cancer. He passed way too early, he was just 44 years of age.

Peter was a top bloke and a credit to Netrider.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
  2. Perfect (nice template too :))

Some small changes via PM.

3. All the best bits from many sources, thank you all.
  4. Good stuff Dazzler (y)
  5. Nice one Dazzler and everyone else involved in the process of change.
    The ride is maturing out of necessity, for the best I'm sure.
    I'm looking forward to the same exciting buzz that was in the air last Thursday.
  6. Good work and I like the name!
  7. Nice work! Though I would like to see "...it may involve some highly experienced riders who ride at a pace that might seem very fast BUT LEGAL" :wink:
  8. Happy with the above addition even though it's somewhat more than I suggested, did you get advice on that? If so I might update the Sat thread accordingly.

9. No legal advice here, just common sense.
    If we need a real disclaimer, there are some legals onboard who could help I suppose.
    This was better than nothing at the time of writing.
  10. pssttt Dazzler ...

who is Pete ;) ???

Great job guys , hope this works ...
    I'll be chatting with the Manager of the servo this week ,
    letting him know a fantastic bunch of riders will be meeting there on Thursday nights , not to hold up the site ;) just to go on a ride .. LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Heh - Sadly being a level 3+ ride, I think I'll have to wait a while before I join in on the ride, though I might show up just to see y'all off this week :)
  12. Let's see if I can jog your memory.

Pitch black night, dirt road in the back blocks of Warrandyte, 40 degree decline down to a dead end.

and surely you must remember The Boulevard in Bulleen. Not even a shadow of it's Ivanhoe cousin, just a moonscape that even challenged the motards.

His leads were ledgendary.
  13. ummm I think Kitt meant to add something about "who is Pete" into the description on Page 1.

I know if I didn't know any of the history (not claiming that I know much) I'd ask why its called "Petes Mystery Ride".
  14. The complete description " who is pete " is in progress Spenze ...
    I was just having a dig @ Darryn in jest ..
  15. Dazzler looks like all our hard work is paying off......=D>

I take my hat off to you doing a great job getting the draft happening etc etc.

I believe we are all heading in the right direction with all of this......excellent !

Cheers Bruce
  16. dazzler clear and to the point,great start to a new ride nite well done to everyone for the hard work,and yes zx9a6 this is heading in the right direction!
  17. Dazzler, well done!!

You have even got me thinking about coming along!!!
  18. OMG Gilsey!

19. Sounds good to me. I'll see you at the start.
  20. Excellent work on the OP Dazzler! :)