Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Thruxton modifications

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by bushido, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Just wanted to update on my thruxton.

Orginally bought from a member here. Completely stock except for the staintunes.

Mods have largely been cosmetic.

And the most recent pic:

So far have added:

Newthuxton.com FEK and cateye clear mini indicators
    Lucas style tail light
    Flipped headlight brackets and relocated ignition to RHS.
    Painted stock front fender satin black
    Painted headlight brackets satin black
    Lowered gauge cluster
    Triumph genuine tanks pads
    Triumph genuine fork gaiters (These were a PITA to install!)

Future mods:

Spiegler gold stainless brake lines
    SBS brake pads (Coming from a cbr600rr, the braking on these bikes suck!)
    Pazzo black/gold shorty levers
    Checkered tyre valve caps :angel:
    Hagon rear shocks
    Stiffer front fork springs

AND MOST IMPORTANT: matching tyres! 8-[
  2. Make sure they're Avons. Can't go putting Kraut, Jap or Eytie rubber on a Brit caff-racer dontcher know :wink:.
  3. Your sure you want Hagons,there a very basic shock.Have a look at Gazi Suspendion or Icon,they have an Alloy bodied model.Hagons are at the very bottom of whats avalable,BTW love the mean look of the Thruxton
  4. Yeh not entirely sure on the Hagons. Money no object I want the Ohlins Piggybacks... definately considering the ikons too. Hear they are much better!
  5. Dunno about what's available in Oz, but I was under the impression that Hagons did a range of shocks from the cheapo basic up to halfway decent.
  6. They do quite a large range from cheapies to mid range ones.

Regardless of brand, I will be getting them from usa.
  7. I love everything about the Thruxton except the name.

Sounds like something you need to go to a clinic for...

Very nice bike BTW!
  8. Its the same name for the Bonnie production racer from the 60s,there is a curcuit in Ponneyland also by that name and I think the race Bonnie did well in a 12 hour production race they ran there,this is off the top of my head,probably better to Google it.
  9. I went out to look at a Thurxton yesterday. Can't wait to get it as I'm coming to the end of my savings plan for it.

I wanted to see if anyone here knows about putting a wider rear tyre on this bad boy? Just want to know if it can be a straight forward conversion, if it will fit into the existing swingarm. Also how much it will cost?!

Is there anywhere in Sydney that I can contact regarding doing this?
  10. Why? It might look "better" but it will adversly effect the handling.

(Presuming you can still get tyres for the current sizes)
  11. I second MV's question: why?

The bike is what it is. It's not a fat arsed Harley or a modern sports bike so it doesn't need it for appearance. It'll use up all its ground clearance on stock rubber so it doesn't need it for performance. Bigger tyres cost more, quite apart from the cost of the conversion, so it won't help running costs.

It's your bike so you're quite at liberty to do what you want with it but I fail to see the point. If you want a fat tyred Bonnie, why not look at the America?
  12. It depends on what rim it has on it,when you have old Italion sports bike you soon learn what fits what.The major improvement re wheel rim and rear rubber is getting a 150 in it,thats the cutoff for anything with modern grip and the smallest rear rim that will handle a 150 is a 3.5inch.So find out what rear rim you have and work from there,measure what is in it now and see if there is enough room for the extra width rubber.BTW expect to pay approx $600 for a rim and lace and $300 for a tyre.Rooting around with this stuff is a bit of a desease,expensive with lots of bike down time,its a slippery slope.
  13. Very true Zim!

IMO its not worth the time off the bike for a wider rear.

The standard rim is a 3.5 in rear and will fit up a 150. Some people I know are running the 150 rear but they say the bike is slower to turn in.

Im going to try a 140 when Im due for new rubber.

In regards to wider rear wheels in Sydney, maybe Deus??

Failing that you could always got a Forged Carrozeria rims....but youre looking at 1.8 K before shipping. Main problem I find is that you might need offset hubs to fit the wider wheels. PITA...

And btw, both these companies to wide wheel kits..

14. I am running a Bridstone BT92 140x55 /18,on a 3.00 rim on the rear of my Laverda,BT 023
    on the front.Its the only Radial thats now avalable smaller than 150,its origanal equip on an early model GSXR Suxuki 750 is will take some stick,I like them a lot
  15. Why you ask? Purely because it looks awesome!

Go on... admit it... this looks pretty dam good!! =P~
    (check out the clear plastic spocket guard next to the engine cover)

Thanks for the links bushido. I checked on BC awhile ago and they reckon it will fit into the existing swingarm with no mods needed. Just trying to find something here in Oz.
  16. I love the unlimited possibilities with these bikes :]

Two of my favourites:

The black one is running Carrozeria forged rims. 17 x 3.5in front and 17 x 5.0 in rear. The rear tyre is a 160 and there is no offset.
  17. Here's another fine example. Can't see it in this picture but the rear turn indicators are just a single red LED on each side.

By the way, the rear rim in this picture fits onto the standard swingarm... no mods needed! The tyre for it is a 180/55!!
  18. I got my Trumpy Thrux about this time last year. Took it round to the old's the following weekend, and my old man took a look at it and said, "WTF, they've knicked the name from Velocette!" (He used to own a lovely late 60's MSS 500 - not sure exactly what year - which was pretty much a softer cam-ed road version of the Venom of the day.)

The Velocette Thruxton was a Venom altered with the intention of taking part in the Thruxton 500 race. It was released in 1965, and won that year's race (but not at Thruxton, since the race was moved to Castle Combe that year. In fact, I'm not sure that a Velocette ever won the 500 race at the eponymous track.) A Triumph 650 did win in 1968, and Triumph capitalised on the win by releasing Thruxton versions to boost sales.

What's in a name anyway... At lest Thruxton sounds better than Bonneville, which, salt-lake or no salt-lake, sounds like a French duke! Here's a pic of a 1968 Vellocette Thruxton. (I don't know what's goin on with the bloke's socks... Maybe he's a French duke... :-k)

[Sorry the pic's gone missing. Maybe it was too big and the mods took it off. Here's a link to it on another page.]
  19. When i bought my T140V tthe shop had a couple of Vellocettes for sale,its been a while since then,hows your clutch adjusting,I hear its a bit on an art.
  20. The Trump or the Velo? Not that it matters, as I've not had reason to adjust the clutch on my bike (Charlie in Kensington did do this at the initial service and I've left it well enough alone since). I probably should 'play' with the bike more. All I've done is the AI removal and put on a pair of the TORS pipes. I've been thinking of removing the rear fender, but it's my only transport at the moment, and I'm ill inclined to mess with it too much, not minding it as it is.

I do remember Dad pulling apart the clutch on the Velo years ago, but his was to file out the bearing retaining sleeve inside the clutch. Over time the balls had warn a rough track into the casing. The solution was to file out the round holes, make them square, and replace the ball bearings with cylindrical ones. He did it all by hand and I only remember because he was pretty proud of it (it being fiddly job and easy to cock-up), and he was eager to show me and my brother what he was up to.

He ended up slowly selling off his motorcycles when he started building his aeroplane. A Van's RV-4. He's a pilot by profession, so it was only a matter of time before he tackled something like that. And there is only so much you can fit in a double garage at one time. The Velo was his favourate and the last bike to go. He's since picked up a 1962 Matchless G250 last year, to fix up and ride around on. I think he began to miss it all when my brother and I started riding. The Matchless looks nice, and it sounds great, but its a pretty shit bike when its all said and done, especially compared to what he had: the Velo MSS 500, a '77 Ducati Desmo 500 and a '49 Triumph Speed-twin. It's a shame to thinks about it. I should have taken the velo for a sneaky ride when he still had it, but if I dropped it, he'd've killed me, and I never had the balls to do it.