Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Throttle snatch/clutch control

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jisk, Apr 20, 2009.

1. When I fully throttle off, and then twist the throttle again, there is a bit of throttle snatch on my bike. It even happens if I try to gently ease the throttle through the friction point. It can be a real pain, especially when twisting on in a corner. What I've started doing is using the clutch to control the throttle delivery if I twist off then on.

Am I doing this right or do I just need to work on my throttle control? I don't remember having this much throttle snatch when learning on a single cylinder CB250. My bike is a Honda Hornet 250 (same engine and gearbox as CBR250RR).

[Edit: Typo in subject]
  2. Depends on the state of your bike: different amounts of slop in the gearbox, chain tension. Could be a characteristic of your bike: different cush drive, different fuelling be it carbs or FI.

Either sort it out with fixing your loose chain/shagged gbox/different tuning, or like you say, ride around it. Clutch works. So does a bit of rear brake. Changing your idle speed can also really help. And adjust your throttle cables correctly, so you're not making it difficult for yourself.

You don't really say where the snatch is coming from though, transmission or power delivery.
  3. :WStupid:

Check your chain tension first. If it's too slack, tightening it to spec should help.

Also grab your rear sprocket and try to move it back and forwards. If there is some movement there then replacing the cush rubbers should help.

Until then, use the clutch to ease the transition, but it's worth solving the issue to increase clutch life and get a more enjoyable ride from your bike. :)

Increasing idle speed will take up the slack for you but can make riding through traffic a pain. It certainly can be worth doing once you get to the twisties though.
  4. I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. I think it's power delivery, as I can clearly feel the "kick" when the power goes from zero (throttle off) to something, even when easing it. What would the difference between transmission and power delivery snatch feel like?

The chain does sound like a likely culprit. I haven't done an actual measurement of slack on it, but a mate had a quick glance (just in general, not for this problem) and said it was a little slack. Hopefully it is as easy as adjusting the chain, rather than a gearbox/fueling issue.
  5. Well, I just went and measured - approx 35mm of chain slack, which is outside the recommended 15-30mm in the CBR250 service manual (no english manual for 250 hornets).

Looks like I'll be adjusting my chain soon. Is it okay to do this with the side stand only, or do I need to jack up the rear end of the bike?
  6. Adjust your chain on the side stand. Follow the instructions in the manual and you'll find it quite easy. Did you check the cush rubbers? :)
  7. No, I didn't yet. I'm not sure what a cush rubber is, so thought the chain would be the easiest place to start. :cool: I will check the sprocket to see if they need replacing.

Well, I am glad I double checked the chain tension spec by googling. I found a page that told me for the Hornet 250 it should actually be 30-40mm, so its right in spec. http://www.hondahornet.co.uk/quickref.html
  8. Cush rubbers are behind the rear sproket so you won't be able to see them. They provide a cusion to the wheel to soften the blow and prevent wear between the two. Over time they do wear out, creating slack in the drive which can cause an increase in the snatch effect. Giving the rear sproket a wiggle will tell you what condition they're in. If the sprocket turns a bit without the wheel moving then the rubbers have worn and there is a gap between them and the wheel. :)
  9. sure its not too much slack in the throttle cables?
  10. the hornet shouldn't be jerky at all

possibly slack in chain? as the others have already pointed out
  11. Assuming everything is adjusted correctly and it is just the nature of your bike, you just need to get used to it, and your throttle control will eventually improve - to a point.

You should not be getting off and on the throttle mid corner - stop doing that, and THAT will get rid of one of your main concerns.
    You may stuff up a corner once in a while but beyond that...adjust your riding practices to be feathering or just on the throttle through the corners.

12. Mine does this too, but apparently its a quirk of the v-twin :p Also, I notice that i *can* smooth my way through it.

It was *much* more pronounced on the learner courses CBF-250's though.
  13. Hornet's are IL4's

I had one and those things rawked. No throttle snatch for me unless I'm being stupid and WOT then quickly shut off the throttlein 1stt gear
  14. Raven - I'm not getting off the throttle mid corner, only on it. Most corners I'm on the throttle from the start of the turn. I find that in some, usually when I'm slowing down to turn into a side road from an 80k zone, by the time I go to get back on the throttle in the right gear I am mid corner, which is where the snatch is a pain.

I only got to ride for 20 minutes yesterday and noticed that most of the time it only occurs in 2nd gear (or first, if I'm going ultra slow). So it may just be my technique. The chain isn't too slack - even though I got it wrong initially, 35mm is within spec for the hornet. There is a little travel in the handle before the throttle engages, but I am told this is normal.

I think I'll get a more experienced mate to ride my bike to find out if it is truly a problem or just me. His five years of riding experience should tell more than my four months.
  15. I'm thinking that might be it... more riding practice me for.
  16. O.K. I am a little lost…
    What is the problem with getting a little snatch every time you ride?
    And there should be no need for this is you have snatch…
  17. My understanding is that there should be a little bit of slack in the throttle cables. The throttle is hard to control if its not there. If you roll off too far you have to take up this slack before the bike responds. This can cause a snatch (or it did for me until the HART trainers told me what I was doing wrong).
  18. Ok...got ya...That all sounds about normal then, and it may just be a case of you developing a deft touch with the throttle, if you don't do too many miles or have'nt on this bike...it may come with practice.

Mind you...some models of bike, just happen to be a bit "snatchier" than others, and it can boil down to just the nature of the bike. My Blackbird had it a bit, and on a bike THAT size, it could be difficult under some circumstances, but I either learnt to ride around it, or developed a bit of a silky touch with it..(although it would still catch me out particularly around suburbia where the corners are quick 90deg's mostly.)

The Blade DID have a bit of throttle snatch, but I considered it normal all the time...When I had a power commander fitted, it helped alot...very smooth...so you see..you're bike is'nt necessarily wrong. :)

You will always feel the throttle snatch more in the lower gears - the lower, the worse the effect, generally speaking.

19. Sorry Falcon-Lord. I don't compeltely understand the last sentence :p
  20. I had this problem on my bike.

When you are trying to ride as smooth as possible it really stuffs things up and jerks the bike.