Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Throttle response, too touchy.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by 1250, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Hi, I just got back into bikes after a long break raising family, my new bike is my first 4 cylinder, Suzuki 1250 Bandit and I am having trouble adapting to the touchy throttle, I'm used to twins and singles with low revs and high torque, research lead me to understand this bike has more torque and low end power than most 4's. My right wrist gets very sore after 15 minutes riding and trying to stay at a steady speed is near impossible due to the touchy throttle. So I was wondering if others have difficulty with the throttle or is it just a matter of adapting? Cheers.

2. Try it with the other hand lol
  3. You may have answered your own question, it may be a matter of adapting. Ride more and you'll get use to it and eventually you'll jump back on a single and be wondering why it offers no response.
  4. Sounds like your holding onto the bars too tightly. Tight means the vibrations and shocks are transferred to your wrists, giving you sore wrists, and causing a choppy throttle control.
  5. Long break, then straight onto a 1200CC inline 4 and you are finding the throttle response twitchy?
    Let us investigate this…
    How long was your break, I ask because engines have generally become more and more highly strung over the last 8 - 10 years. Also how much grunt did you have at your disposal when you last rode? The Bandit isn’t the most highly stung bike on earth, but with 1200 odd CC of explosion space, it caries a bit of punch.
    Also as gsxxer pointed out, holding on to tight means every bump turns into a throttle input. Relaxing may be the answer.
  6. Thanks for the replies, all good points, I've tried relaxing but the tension comes back without realising. As much as I expected, I need to spend more time riding to get used to the power of this monster and to get the wrist stronger, can't use the left hand, just doesn't feel right.
  7. You shouldn't need to be getting your wrist stronger. And the bandit is upright seating position right? Before and after i get on my bike I give my wrists a quick stretch.

It sounds like you need to refresh the basics. Grip the bike with your knees, keep your arms relaxed and keep your elbows tucked in and lower than your wrists. Your wrists shouldn't be taking any load.
  8. As A Matter of interest, are you riding around in the city or getting out on the open road.
    Maybe spending some open road time where keeping an accurate speed isn’t as much of as requirement (Short of the obvious po po issues) will give you the chance to relax a little and become more familiar with the feel of the bike.
  9. I'm staying away from heavy traffic till I get my confidence and skills back. I live in a country town so I am onto some good bike roads just out of town. I have tried gripping the tank with my knees and relaxing my riding style but it is not happening without me thinking about it. It was only on my last ride that the bike felt comfortable in corners, I was forcing the bike into the turn and it felt awkward, when I relaxed and let the bike fall into the turn it felt so natural and easy. It has been a 15 year break from bikes and like you mentioned, motors have changed heaps, that's why I thought a big 4 cylinder with heaps of torque would be a little easier to adapt to.
  10. Its all about relaxation. I think your just tense on the bike and controls, which would explain the bikes behaviour.
  11. Yeh modern well tuned EFI makes it heaps more touchy (responsive). When I went from my carby bike to EFI (same horsepower, less torque) I found it a bit tricky to get used to the throttle, then i took my old bike for a ride and the carb bike felt so muddy.

Just keep talking yourself through what your doing. Everyone is guilty of gripping the bars too tightly at some point (usually when u start trying to ride faster), as long as you can identify that your doing something wrong and know how to fix it.

Try and get out on a big day ride. It will give you time to become one with your machine.
  12. Torque is your friend and your enemy.
    Because the bike is so torquie it has almost its full punch at any revs. So there is no Jeckle and Hyde quality about it, it just wants to rip your head off all the time.
    But it does it predictably all the time.
    So basically you just need to spend more saddle time relaxing, and getting used to the beast.
    Then it will become your beast, and in a couple of months time you’ll think it’s just a big pussy cat.
  13. Are the sprockets stock size or is it geared for more acceleration?

When you start using bigger rear sprockets the engine gets a bit more snatchy in lower gears.
  14. It's fuel injected isn't it? That's the nature of injection, unfortunately, although some systems are better than others. If you are only familiar with the responses of carb-fed engines, it will take a little while to adapt. You'll get used to it, but they will never be as smooth as the old gear. Wrist will get stronger over time, although you might consider mucking around with the return springs. Carefully.
  15. As others have said - you'll get used to it...give yourself time...be patient and it will all come to you. No probs. :)
  16. You may also want to check that the throttle cable and chain are adjusted correctly. Too loose on either can cause low speed twitchiness.
  17. If you're getting back on the bike after a long while I would recommend doing an intermediate course at HART.

BTW, you picked a great bike. :D
  18. Oh, I have read a review of the Bandit 1250 that complained about the Bandit not being so good at going two up as the throttle was a bit jerky. I haven't found this with mine.

19. A lot of EFI bikes have timing retarded in lower gears.

Do a quick search and see if anyone makes a TRE (timing retard eliminator) for the bandit.

Sure tamed the 109.
  20. If your thinking about it then you are probably doing it. So keep thinking about it.

four stages of learning for a bike
    1) unconsciously incompetent - you don't know you're rubbish
    2) consciously incompetent - you know you're rubbish and you're tyring to fix that
    3) consciously competent - your putting the effort in and getting better
    4) unconsciously competent - do it without thinking.

sound like you're somewhere between 2 and 3. There is certainly nothing wrong with constant self appraisal about how you are riding, it shows you're not blundering around without an idea of what's going on.