Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

throttle jerk

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by tarsh, May 25, 2007.

1. hey guys

when i let go of my throttle to engine break and then i have to move again and i gradually give it throttle the bike kinda lurches/snaps forward.

other riders have told me that it is supposed to be a gradual acceleration whereas i am getting a lurch forward and then the acceleration.

any ideas what this could be and wether i need to take it to the dealership?

bike: 2001 GPX250R

2. Chain too loose maybe? Check out the slack in the slack part of the chain(bottom). SHould be around 15-25mm or whatever the user manual states. If its more than this, it could be a part of the problem.

Thats all I can come up with anyway.
  3. Might be worth checking your chain is adjusted properly, a loose chain can cause that sort of feeling. Otherwise it's a problem with fuelling.
  4. How many RPM and what gear and speed are you doing when this normally occurs?

Sounds normal in a low gear, low speed and having high rpm where the throttle is completely closed and then reopened to accelerate.

Try this test. 1st gear rev it out, then snap the throttle off then try and open the throttle to accelerate after a lot of speed has been washed off. Do it again but just try to slow down slower with a tiny fraction of throttle.

Maybe your bike and mine needs our chains adjusted? Can you get anyone to ride the bike and tell you if its ok?
  5. Oh my. Please use the clutch!!

Low gears on any machine will jerk you back and forth. When you are slowing down and need to accelerate a bit again, pull in thw clutch slightly then apply some throttle. Once you have matched the clutch with the engine RPM's you can happly release it and keep riding smoothly.

6. Now this is meant to be a g rated forum, you shouldn't be talking about jerking.

O.K. Now that I have got that out of my system, I'll go with some useful information.
    Nothing left to say.
    I have a ZZR (Same engine) and experience the same sort of behavior.
    It is the twin

Could some v Twin people comment on whether or not they get it as well

The easiest way to deal with it is to feather your clutch a little as you approach the zero point on your throttle and as you bring the power back on
  7. I'm having a similar problem since a month or so back when I cleaned carbs. (chain and sprockets are new and chain is tightened properly). Note this snapping was much much much less evident before I messed with carbs.

I need to sync them and should notice a big improvement. Will get around to it soon.

So if you're being very smooth with throttle, your chain is adjusted properly (3.5-4cm slack at tightest point for zzr) then your carbs may need some looking after.
  8. A V-Twin being jerky? What the? With the benefit of the extra low down torque I have no problems getting smoothly through traffic. At very low speeds I obviously have to clutch slip a bit, but that is normal.
  9. Isn't that what I just said
  10. is there any slack in the throttle cable?