Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Throttle Clutch control

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by sonicbaz, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Sometimes I find that I conditions are such that 2nd gear is too high and I need to be in first gear but first gear is too touchy and can bite me in the ass if I'm not real careful with my throttle control. Is it acceptable to ride the clutch in this situtaion?

2. sure if you are like me and want to burning your clutch out... I do the same thing but now that I have finaly learned you can get really good throttle control.. plus if you not too careful with the throttle and clutch in first or second on you blackbird it will lift the front way to easily...

ride the clutch.. their $80 to $150 plus install... probably less for you seing as it s a honda...
  3. You should get used to it. I know when giving it a bit of throttle on the FJ is going to be a bit rough, so I feather the clutch a second or so to ease on the power delivery.

The more you slip the clutch, the sooner you'll be in there replacing the plates, so probably best to limit the practice. Just feather it as you roll on/roll off the power, and practice making tiny adjustments with the throttle. with a nice smooth injected motor like yours, you should be able to get it perfect without needing the clutch.

Though, you should be able to go mighty slow in second before the torque of the 1100 runs into trouble. even my old FJ will quite happily pull from below 1000 rpm in second.

4. Try holding the revs up a bit in first and control the "jerkiness" by dragging the rear brake. This softens up the torque to the rear wheel and helps stabilize the suspension. Cheaper to put in rear pads than clutch plates too. :grin:
  5. I always thought wet clutches were able to be feathered/ridden without too much wear, in comparison with a dry clutch that you would have in a car?
  6. This jerkiness is a gift in disguise. Learning to manage it will set you on the path to throttle control. And as MC Sercive says, a bit of rear brake can help.
  7. less friction yes, but still some friction otherwise it wouldn't work at all.
  8. they are and there is less friction yes, but still some friction otherwise it wouldn't work at all, so it does wear, just slower. but if you can learn throttle control you're better off anyway.