Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Throttle cable pinching

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by slygrog, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

This afternoon I was trying to turn my motorbike to the right, and at full steering lock it just started accelerating on its own. Tested it a few times with my hand nowhere near the throttle and it consistently revs as if the throttle is open. Doesn't happen on both sides, just the throttle side, so I'm assuming it's a cable pinch or something. It dropped from center stand onto that side a few nights ago, and the drop was big enough to snap off the end of the brake lever. Is this a difficult thing to address? Just trying to figure out if I need to get the mechanics to pick it up, drive it to their faraway place and fix it over the next week or two, or if it's something I can handle myself.
  2. There is insufficient slack in the cable. Either you have the cable routed wrong or you have the cable adjustment way too tight. I'd guess no 1.
  3. You could be right, but not necessarily... If the bike has heated grips, the first thing I'd check is whether the wires are pulling or fouling on the tank. Having fallen onto the right hand side, the bar is probably either bent or it has slipped on its mount. This happened to my bike the last time I dropped it, and I had the same symptoms, but not as bad.

To check if the bar's bent, turn the bar fully to the left and measure the gap beyween it and the tank, then repeat it to the right. If the right bar is closer to the tank than the left, then you need to fix that first. When I realigned my clip-on (undo one bolt, push the clip-on around until it's aligned correctly, and do up the said bolt), all was well again. On the other hand, you may have a bent bar.

Also worth checking is whether the throttle cable routing has been altered by the drop. Knocking a cable out of the proper place can cause it to pull when you move the bar.

Other than this and what Grey said, it's anyone's guess without seeing the bike. I hope this helps. :)