Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Throttle blipping under front brakes

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by UDLOSE, Nov 20, 2008.

1. I know the theory for when and why (been heel toein' my cages for years) and I blip on the downshifts on my bike all the time, but I never really thought about it until the other day but I realised that my technique is a dodgy workaround.

The way that I do it is
    - approaching corner quickly
    - grab front brake
    - apply rear
    - release front (rear still on)
    - clutch, blip throttle, downshift, release clutch (no worries in that area)
    - reapply front and repeat if I need another gear
    - i release the rear after my last downshift and stay on the front so that the weight transfer is normal again.

The rear doesn't do much to assist the braking but it keeps it stable and reduces the weight transfer back and forth. But I know i should really be using just the front but I haven't mastered the karma sutra that is (front) braking hard and giving a big rev at the same time.

My method seems to work and I can do it smoothly, but I think that I'd be able to perform better if I was doing it "properly".

Obviously practise will make perfect but before I start it would help to know the correct technique first (ie which fingers where and how).

I've just read twist of the wrist II and it didn't cover this area at all which I found suprising. There was alot of good stuff in there though.

Cheers
    Marty

2. You use 2 fingers?

by that I mean for front brake...

3. yep, work your fingers around so you can brake and blip at the same time, its not that hard

4. Which 2? Inner 2 or outer 2? Should I be trying to use my index finger and thumb to turn the throttle while holding the brake lever with the outer 2 or 3?

Edit: The other prob is my throttle has a fair bit of play in it so you have to give it a pretty substantial twist to match the revs correctly. Maybe the freeplay is a part of the problem. I should try and adjust it.

5. Brake in one go. Dont let go and reapply.

6. I use all four fingers on the brake lever and just sort-of roll my palm/thumb to give the throttle a blip.

(That's not to say that using two fingers or whatever is "wrong"; just saying that there're many ways to skin a cat; use whatever works for you!)

7. I use my middle finger on the front brake and blip with thumb and index.

8. ahhh i havent been on the bike for a while, i cant remember if i use all 4 fingers or what. i think i do actually. if your brakes arent adjusted the best, you dont wanna use two fingers, and have to e-brake, queeze hard and suddenly the other fingers are in the way of the lever from fully compressing :shock:

i find jsut with practice, the blipping down under brakes works fine. i may release a small amount of brake pressure as i blip, i couldnt tell you now unless i actively think about it next time i do it, but its not noticable. plus i dont go into a corner that hot, that i need brakes on 100% and still be able to blip down or im farked. never ride @ 100%.

just keep at it, have a paly around with fingers and whole hands etc, see what is comfy.

and UDLOSE, never brake with the outer two fingers alone, theyre weak as piss. always use the inner two at least, the rest is up to you.

9. The index and middle fingers are the ones to use as they are the stronger fingers

10. :shock:
    ...Yeah nah.

11. +1

Might help to adjust brake lever distance, but I found this is most natural for me.

12. I use 4 fingers on the brake, and kinda roll my wrist to blip the throttle. Hard to explain but it seems to work :).
    I'm not sure if using 2 fingers for braking is a good idea. You can squeeze much harder using all 4 fingers.

13. Releaseing and reapplying the front brake is going to unsettle the bike more and take longer to stop than if you just worried about the brakes and eased the clutch off to smooth out the downshifts.

Have you considered practicing how to maintain brake pressure and roll the throttle while the bike is stationary? As long as you're in the same riding position you hand has to do the same movements regardless of whether you're moving or not so you could work on it with less risk of something going wrong.

You should be using both brakes

14. Its not good practice to use 2 fingers for brakes. However. if your brakes are not spongy, it will provide more than 50% of braking power.

I will use 2 fingers, and if I need more I will reach out with my other 2 fingers.

15. One finger at all times for me.

Are we forgetting that it's all a product of hydraulic ratios between caliper and master cylinder???

Different setups require different amounts of force at the lever, for a given clamping pressure, and then changing things like pad and disc compounds change the actual braking force again. Not to mention bike and rider weight.

Advising on how many fingers to use is a bit of a dud.

16. Thanks for the input guys. I'll try some different things and see what works. I think i'll need to adjust up the throttle freeplay first because i think thats where half the problem is. I'll also have play around with the bike parked as sblack suggested and see what works. I guess its just like ripping a burnout in a sense.

17. yeh thats exactly right. I forgot to mension that I've got braided lines so its a much harder feel than normal

18. I'm with Spots and JP on this one. Brake with with all fingers and roll the heel of the palm. Otherwise it's the same way you get to Carnegie Hall. Practice man, practice.

19. I just started doing this a week or so ago so i'm not an authority on the matter. I find that i'm just braking as normal (hitting both brakes) and rolling the palm of my right hand while my fingers maintain pressure on the front brake which seems to be how most people are doing it. Try sitting on the bike with the engine switched off and go through the motions first because that really helped me (try and hold the front brake whilst rolling your palm OR thumb on the throttle)

Using 4 fingers on the brake is what they teach because there are a lot of stories of peoples fingers slipping off the front brakes during an emergency stop and running into the back of a car (fingers slipping off the front brake is even more likely when your blipping)

20. You're right devotard, there's no one magical rule that suits all. I used to use two fingers, but after much beating over the head from Stay Upright they convinced me that 4 was a better option.

Their theory goes that the inside two fingers have the power and the outside two fingers have the finer control on the brake lever. In practice this seems to hold up.

If you already have four fingers on the lever and need to brake harder, no issue just squeeze harder. If you only have 2 fingers and need to squeeze harder then you may need to start moving your fingers about, which wastes brain power and braking time.

Some food for thought for road riders.