Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Three swept away bikers feared dead in Tasmania

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by incitatus, Jun 24, 2006.

1. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19575779-29277,00.html

"Three motorcyclists were believed to have died after being swept away while trying to cross a swollen stream in remote western Tasmania.
    A Tasmania Ambulance Service spokesman said a party of five off-road motorcyclists were attempting to ford the stream near Granville harbour, about 25km west of Zeehan, when the accident happened.

It was believed one of the party members became stuck while trying to cross the stream at a waterfall near Granville Harbour.

His four friends tried to help free the biker, but all were swept away in the swollen stream.

Tasmanian Ambulance Service regional supervisor Morris Hayes said two of the group were injured.

The pair were airlifted by a rescue helicopter to Strahan Airport, where they were expected to flown to hospital."
  2. If there in water over there head there farked, made the mistake once of jumping in a river with full trail bike gear on after a REALY hot, long ride in middle of summer, amazing how heavy nylons, armour, and boots can get. With full winter gear on, i'd say there buggered.

Poor bastards, shows you how close we all are to that one last ride.

Condolences to all involved.
  3. Grantville's also a relatively isolated area and its faccking cold - poor buggers :(
  4. Sorry to read about that.

condolences to the survivors and families.

5. According to the Sunday Age the police blame it on speed and bad weather (in that order).
  6. I hope they meant the speed of the flowing water, because by all reports, I understand they were actually off the bikes trying to get one or more out of the stream when they were swept away.
  7. Yes that's right - I don't think speed had anything to do with it - they were stuck in a bloody river - I don't think they were going very fast at the time...

Very sad story
  8. From what they were saying on the evening news tonight they were on Quad bikes and were found by accident by an SES volunteer who happened accross the survivors and was able to raise the alarm. The area has no mobile phone coverage being in a remote part of the west coast.
  9. On the other hand, he river itself was going well and truly fast enough to sweep them away.

Condolences to the families. :cry:
  10. Condolences to anyone who knew the guy's its a tragic loss.
  11. Maybe they were going too fast to stop before getting the bike stuck in the river?

You almost hope that is the case because to try and cross a swollen river like that, especially with kids involved.......... [-X :furious:

VERY sad story.