Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Thread Culling

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by takagawa, Apr 18, 2005.

1. I'm wondering how much storage this forum takes on the servers. I was making use of the search for some information that I knew were here from several weeks ago, only to find they've all been deleted from the purging of old threads.

What's the retention rate of threads on this forums? I seems like not any longer than maybe two or three months. Storage is very cheap to buy are Netriders having problems in terms of server space?

As the forums continue to grow, this problem would just get worse as we lose helpful information, causing repostings of things that have already been said.

2. Apart from classifieds that have an auto 60 day purge when a topic hasn't had any posts, nothings been purged since mid Jan when we had a system crash and a faulty backup. You must have missed it in your search. What are you looking for?
  3. Hm, just an idea to run past you while we are on the topic about the net page etc. Mouth, how difficult would it be to set up a chat room where riders that are on line can chat??? I think it would be a valuable asset of netrider web page.
    Hopefully it will happen.
  5. Netrider has had it's own 'room' on the IRC network (Internet Relay Chat) for many years. Just doing a search, and I see the instructions for it must have been lost in the Jan crash. I have casually looked at implementing a web based interface into the chat servers, but when I last looked I didn't find anything appropriate. I'll have another look soon.

Short instructions for connecting to IRC....

1. Download a client application

2. Configure it to connect to an Oz.org IRC server

3. Join channel "#netrider" once you are connected to the server.

It's very rarely used though.
  6. Handy to know Jason, perhaps it just needs some promotion to get more people aware of it (like you just have). Will have to remember to check it out after work.
  7. HOWEVER #ausmoto and channel motorcycles are regularly used and flourish.
    Most in ausmoto are also netriders so everyone with one exception is welcome.
  8. You were the exception!
    :p :D
  9. Yep Marty u would be the token Twat :shock: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cheers 8)