Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Thoughts please on my upgrade options

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Marmitemonkey, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Ok, I'm setting myself up for a million opinions, but I'm tossing up btwn a couple of bikes for my upgrade.
    I really fancy a VFR750 if I can get relatively cheap one with less than a million K's on the clock. Plan b) involves either a CB600 or a Kwaka ZR750. However, the ER6 looks nice too, and I've seen one going relatively cheaply.
    Any thoughts from the wise Netriders out there?

2. Go the viffer :D

(and wait for the mods to move this to the bike reviews forum) :p
  3. VFRs are great bikes and if you are patient you should be able to get a very good, low-ish km late model for a reasonable price. Although many have done big miles, they are a popular Ulysses/Old Man Bike (but don't hold that against them) so a few must have sat in the garage.

CB600s are also great (my gal greatly misses her stolen Hornet) but they are not as sophisticated as the VFR, a bit buzzier, the suspension a tad mushier and less 'expensive' in the smoothness of the damping. I'd rate the CB as the better city bike and the VF as the far superior tourer.

Haven't ridden a ZR750 but they are supposed to be a bit more refined than the CB, as you'd expect from the sleeved-down 900 motor as opposed to the Honda's frenetic re-tuned CBR600 power plant. I guess the ZR splits the difference.

Personally, I'd be patient and wait for a good, late model VFR750- they are nicer to ride than the VFR800 thanks to carbie and a different firing order, the 17" wheels are better and they were just so well thought out after being in production so long.
  4. 4 totally different bikes, but all kinda comfy. Big km touring plans?
  5. Planning a few trips around the fabbo Aus countryside.
    Would put a trip from central Vic to Bris on upgrade fairly quickly.
    Also want a bike that's fairly comfortable for pillion - Mrs Marmite wants days out on bike too.
  6. vfr.... falls into the "sports tourer" section of two wheel life....