Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

thoughts on these tyre guages

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by undii, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Just checking about the net/ebay and saw these guages

Just looking for peoples opinions on these, if they know if they are good/bad/crap would be better :) Failing that, think I'm passing bike mart tomorrow and will see what they have on hand

2. Have you checked the Michelin aneroid type models?
    Worth a peak.
  3. I have a 'topeak' brand guage that I got from a bicycle shop, it was only about $25 from memory, and works a treat.
  4. I have a larger version kinda similar to that one.

Works a bloody treat, gives a spot on reading,
    Waterproof too so i usually keep it in the boot.
  5. What's the point?
    You can check the tyre pressure with a air compressor, and then you can do something about it.
    If you've got a gauge then all you can do is let it down, and how often are you going to overinflate your tyres without fixing the problem there and then?

Waste of money. But ok if you like wanko gadgets. :cool:
  6. Because air compressors at servos are known for being off (like WAY OFF)
  7. Just use those new beeping ones. Sure they're annoying, but they eliminate most of the user error involved. :wink:
  8. Those things suck even more than the standard servo gauges.
    I tried one on the car and it wouldnt stop, the tyre was starting to go round. I left it there and it just kept blowing air. Useless piece of crap.

I use my $15 digital one from dicksmith, which Ive confirmed is accurate against a mechanics one. Servo pumps are usually about +/-5 PSI out.

I usually check the pressure at home and adjust with a cheap footpump, that thing just reads 30psi all the time.

(can some admin fix d!cksmith in the swear filter?)

9. And surely your tires would have warmed up a bit by the time you rode to the servo...
  10. Depends, a servo is 40 seconds walk from my place except it's one of those crap shell beeping air pumps. Always seemed to give varied results week in week out
  11. I use the Michelin guage, works a treat.
  12. Michelin Guage rawks :)
  13. Yeah Jmuzz

I've had that same problem at the servo, damn thing kept pumping air into the tyre way above what it was set to. It's happened twice now at different locations, I'm afraid to use the things again.

I have a Michelin guage as well. Nice, small and works well
  14. Even when it's all automated, it's still too difficult.
  15. Can't remember what brand mine is, but i got it from Autobarn.
    AFAIK it's accurate... which is more than i can say for the servo ones.

Oh, and to the nay-sayer who said they're pointless... i also carry a small single action bicycle pump tucked away in my storage compartment. It's come in handy once or twice with misadventures of punctured tyres, so now it lives in there. It happily got my rear tyre up to 42psi.
  16. The automated/digital servo pumps are very counter intuative and wildly unreliable.....first and only time I used one it was hell bent on inflating my car's rear left tyre to the point where it was going to explode I had to pull it off the value to stop it.

In addition to that if you've driven to a servo your tyres have already warmed up a little and therefore are not going to help you with the vehicle's recommeded pressures which are stated for cold tyres unless you want to start having a guess at how much to compensate. Hence I've got a foot pump and a gauge to check the pressures.
  17. Bunnings are selling, currently on special, a 12V rechargeable air compressor unit with built-in gauge for $39.99. Has adapters/connections for just about everything from car/bike tyres to bicycle tyres to blow-up air beds, etc. At my local Bunnings, they are stacked-up just outside the tool shop/section.
  18. cheers mouth :)
  19. yes, thanks mouth.

+1 being one of the few here that can actually spell gauge. :p

now you just need a bike with a cigarette lighter in it.
    or preferably a 240v converter so you can plug it in at the shed.

If it's overinflating take the thing off and put it on properly.
    90% of new servo's with the beepers have no problems with their compressors (+/- 2.5%).
  20. No .. the unit I was talking about works like a rechargeable drill. The battery attaches into the unit to run, and removes and plugs into 240v base for charging. So you don't need a cigarette lighter or converter at all.