Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Thoughts on private tuition - pre-pre-L

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Marc, Oct 30, 2007.

1. I'm going back for the second day of pre-L. I am sure you know what that means. While it was fun to actually get on the bike, I think I have a bit to prepare before I do this again. I really want to learn to ride...safely but I couldn't relax and let things happen 'naturally'. :shock:

My instructor at Stay upright (Clyde) recommended that I take some private tuition before my second attempt.

How best can I maximise the time in one-on-one learning situation?

I guess I am inviting comments mostly from those who had private tuition for one reason or another but everyone please feel free to pass on the wisdom!

2. Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing what people think also.

Marc, did you think you'd be fine doing the pre-L's? Or were you hesitant?

I ask because I've ridden a scooter for a day overseas, and had no probs at all (although it was an auto and I've never ridden a manual bike) - but I'm still confident that I'll be fine without any training before hand. I'm worried I'm a bit overconfident.
  3. Relax......listen and enjoy.
  4. I did 2 hours of private tutition after failing my L's test through a silly mistake, I made a post about it all in this section somewhere, search for Private tutition or something.

But to recap I felt 1000 times better after doing the private tutition. The instructor day me doing a number of small exercises which really helped out my cornering. There was figure 8s, regular laps of the course, slaloms, slow rides and a large course that was shaped like a butterfly if that makes any sense. I was doing each one for about 20mins each really getting into the leaning and control aspects.

When it came to doing my L's test at the end of the session I breezed through it.

Cant recommend it enough.

5. Sweet, doin it.
  6. Well, those who had *some* experience appeared to have little trouble. The fact that it is a manual, I think, made little difference.

I probably was a little too eager and got myself into trouble a couple of times. After that, I guess I got anxious which would not have helped.

Given what I have seen so far, if you have ridden two-wheels before and reasonably confident, you might try the pre-L first before private tuitions.

7. I guess that is the main thing for me...found it hard to relax my upper body while squeezing the tank!

8. Hi Marc,

Prior to my Pre Ls, ionly knew how to ride a pushie, and my only manual training was on the ferrari 355 challenge arcade game (should've spent that money elsewhere :LOL:).

Just to pass on some advice:
    The reason why you and others (myself included) choke and get the drills wrong, is because we focus on too many things at the same time. Try to focus on one thing at a time (i.e. probably start with smooth clutch control). Not sure if you have a bike to practice on, but try to visualise the friction point, easing the leaver in and giving a tad of throttle.

This helped me out, but i do have to say i was very anxious both nights. But as Grey Gentry said = Relax not just your body, but your mindset. the rest should fall in place. :)
  9. finally! its not just about passing

Thank you for the refreshing insite into actually having the skills to stay alive on the road! Relaxation is the most important factor. I never relaxed until I was confident that I was capable of the things required. I was stupidly given my L plates beforeI had the vital skills to stay alive- be it confidence, or actual skilllevel.
    I went and had at least a dozen of the one on one tuition, and that was just to ride a scooter!
    I graduated to a road bike and I was glad to of had the experience of the scooter, but even then I had 3 one on one lessons to learn the gear BASICS and then a friend took me to practise hill starts, slow riding and emergency stops to prepare for quick take off too, I must say the clutch control - feathering against the throttle and/ or back braking for slow riding was excellent to learn it helps with practising uturns too without feet down! Being able to get through a round about was good to practise.
    Once you do get your L's and I'm sure you will, I must suggest to find a university car park or quiet shoppin car park, where you can practise slow riding any one can ride fast I'm told its more likely to drop the bike when moving slowly
    Tennis balls cut in half make for compact witches hats that we stuffed into my pocket when I got doubled to a deserted car park to practise. (But I had my L plates and was legal at that stage.)
    Do you have a bike yet?
  11. Re: finally! its not just about passing

I do not have a bike yet to practice on but I think your approach might also be something I could consider.

I suspect in your case, gradually building up the confidence and skill level would have been the key objectives.

I agree about the speed and control..I was doing so much better in the second gear...I stuffed it up in first gear :-(

If I am no good in the private tuition using a manual bike, I might try out a scooter.
  12. Interesting thread guys. I failed my L's down here in Vic today by doing a stupid mistake (Stalling at the start of the slowride). Just a mix of nerves and silliness. Going to book in some private lessons before having another crack.

Not too fussed, bit disappointed but not overly. A bit more practice and I know I shouldn't have any worries.
  13. Booked my private tuition...1 hour and it costs $150.00. I guess I want it bad enough and willing to pay.
  14. Well that was 150 well spent. Better to have peace of mind and know that you've learnt the skills, than to ride on the road wondering. :)
  15. Hi Marc,

I'm a newbie too, and I made a post regarding my L's attempt :( Like that The Rocketeer said, because it's a "test", you tend to focus too much on getting everything right or rather, just making sure you don't stuff up. On my first attempt, I was focusing too umch on my cornerings as I wasn't good in it, and in the end, the thing I was least worry about was stalling! Right before I started! And then I guess I was too excited to get my Learners so then same thing happened in the afternoon, only I didn't stall but dropped the bike (yes, anything can happen :( )

A week after that I booked for a 1 1/2 lesson at HART (where I took the course), and I felt way more confident on my cornerings, and on riding in general. I still have this feeling I'm gonna screw up the test (I just get all nervous anyway), so I think for my own good I'd go for another practice run, the money is well spent anyway.

So yeah, I reckon the private tuitions are really worth it, not everybody adapts easily/fast to a bike when they first learn to ride (obviously not me LOL), but yeah good luck and have fun! :)

16. Thanks Germy,

I have booked it and hope to learn heaps;-)

Good luck with your test. You seem more in control of the bike than me!

17. Haha not too sure about that, but I've already booked for my extra lesson on Wednesday and retest the next day, next week. Hopefully all goes well :) GOod luck to you toO! We can go riding together after that! Hehe :D

18. I did a private lesson at Motorcycle Motion and it only cost me $115 for 2 hours, instructor was fantastic. It gave me what I needed to get my learners.

Because I am still nervy I decided to get a scooter. Sunday I went out for my first ride, on my own, boy I wish I had the instructor with me to tell me what I was doing right and wrong. I rode 5km into Warburton, stopped 1/2 way cause I was getting the wobbles, LOL. Let all the traffic pass me, did a stupid thing and stopped on a bend.....so it took me ages to be confident enough to take off again. Got into Warburton....did a "U"ie and then rode straight home. I was a little wobbly all the way and now that I think about it, I may have done that because I was looking down at the road instead of straight ahead. I only managed 10km on my first ride but hey its my first ride since I got my learners and unlike when you drive a car, there is nobody beside you giving you instructions....as annoying as that can be, it does help :)

All I can say is Lots of practise is needed. Private lessons are a great idea. I eventually would like to get a bike but may after a year or so, and I think before I get on a "manual" bike I'll do another private lesson or two.

I also got to get used to the "wind" against the body, maybe I'll get a wind screen for my scooter lol - it can get real windy where I live.

19. Got my Pre-L!

Hi all!

It's been a couple of months since my first attempt and two private tuitions later, I am happy to report that I did get through the second day of pre-L this morning.

In the meantime, I had one private tuition with HART and another with Stay Upright. I do believe that these helped me to get a little bit more confident as well as be more aware of what I do and how I do things on a bike.

I still don't think I will be able to survive in the traffic and will require quite a number of hours practicing and perhaps getting some organised riding sessions. (mentors would be nice :LOL: )

I will now be looking around for a bike but will not rush and buy the first one I see.

One thing that I learned is that I might want to find a bike with a lower sitting height. The one (CB250) at HART had scooped seat with lower sitting position. I think that was a lot better than the standard one I used at Stay Upright. I had to hunch my back to have my forearms lower...

Back to the merit/value of private tuition, I recommend it highly, especially you have not had any experience riding two wheels.

I honestly do not think I would have got the pre-L certificate without taking the tuitions.

You could try saving yourself a bit of money by taking pre-L again after stuffing up the first one. I don't know if you'd feel all that more confident without much practice/time on a bike before the next one, not to mention the waiting time and inconvenience.

Go for it, I say :)

P.S. Stay Upright - $150 HART - $120 (But Kevinn @ Stay was really good and gave extra 10mins)