Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

thoughts on hyosung's in general

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by halifax, Sep 6, 2005.

1. hey guys im still looking for a bike and dad has been talking about hyosungs and in particular the 650 ive heard they are cheaply made and am sceptical of them because they are only just starting up in oz so parts may be hard to source anyway giv me your opinions on them

2. halifax, Two Wheels magazine did a test on the 650 a couple of issues ago and it was very complimentary. Finish is up as is backing according to them. My feeling is that, in terms of bangs for the buck, you won't find a better new bike, as long as you're prepared to wear a less-than-ideal resale value.

Go ride one and see what you think. If you're in NSW you can buy the LAMS approved model then upgrade it cheaply to an unrestricted bike after you're off your "P"'s

Motor is basically the Suzuki SV650, too.
  3. Well, halifax, I've ridden the 650 and I was quite impressed. The acceleration was good, lots of V-Twin vibes, of course, comfortable seat, but very "wooden" brakes. I believe this has been fixed since I rode the bike in March.
    The dealer network seems good and where else are you going to get a 650 for under $10,000?
  4. There were a lot of people that doubted that Korean built cars would ever become popular too but have since been proven wrong. The low price of Hyosungs is probably more to do with the lower wages of Korean workers rather than a reflection of poor build quality - Hyosung actually developed the engine used in the SV650 for Suzuki.
  5. Actually jd, Korean wages are on parity with Australia, and cost of living is actually higher there than here. It's just that the Korean companies work on very low margins in sales and cushion that off against planned high penetration. Seems to work for them, they lead the world in many products and are getting better everry day.
    When I was there wirth Samsung in '02, I saw a large white wall with some Korean writing on it in one of the factories. I asked my host what the writing said; he said "It says Samsung, your other wife!"
    Says it all, really.
  6. Hmm, never would have guessed that, maybe someone should start manufacturing bikes here. Still think that Korean wages would have to be lower than those paid to Japanese or European workers but I'm only guessing. Of course if Hyosungs were manufactured in NORTH Korea things would be different again.
  7. I reckon that the bike is a bargain, and I was suprised at how good the full faired variant looked in the flesh.

Supposing that we could build a bike at a price on par with Korea, do you think anyone would want them?
  8. Took one out for a spin (650), it was quite impressive.
    Friend of mine repaired a written-off insurance-jobbie, ALL spares were available within 2 days and DIRTCHEAP compared to equivalent-main-brand parts.
    As mentioned above, Korean cars used to be laughed at (or Japs, 20 years before that...), some of those built in the early days even became sorta" classics" (the Datsun 1600 comes to mind). Not pretty, not flashy, but damn near impossible to get them to stop running.
    Good choice.
  9. All a local company would have to do to be succesful is to land the Australia Post contract with a locally built rival to the CT110.
  10. jd: Were you out cruising round town Sunday?

I spotted a maroon Kat 250 a few times on my travels.
  11. I'm not trying to sound like the Korean Trade Commissioner, but watch the Koreans; they are now where the Japanese were in the late 60's early 70's. If they want to spend the money, they can do whatever they want to do!
  12. If you're referring to Sunday the 4th then no, couldn't get the bike to start that day (new set of plugs on Monday solved that problem though).