Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Thoughts on dual-purpose bikes????

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by andy, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Hey, hello, whats doin? 8)

Im in the market for a first bike and was leaning towards getting a dual purpose bike. I reckon its a good idea :idea: because i want to get a cruiser eventually but 250 ones are way to small. And with a dual purpose i can keep it as a dirt bike and when i get off my Ps i can buy a bigger crusier. Just after some advise on good dual purpose bikes :shock:

2. Honda NX650
    I gust graduated to my L's, and this takes my 6.5 + 110kilos with little problem.
  3. Cheers, thanks for the advise but im in victoria and can only get max 250 which is bummer cos i weigh about 105kg myself.
  4. a mate of mine has a TT250, grouse bike that one for a squirter, that or the XR250 would be my pick....
  5. i had a 84 HondaXR 250 about 12 years ago but felt crap on bitumen compared to a road bike. Was awesome in dirt though :D

Thinking of getting one of those KTM's and joining the dirt bike forum :)
  6. I was in the same boat Andy, I am 6 ft 4 and sat on various cruisers, my A@#% dragged on the ground like an old tired dog.

Sat on a few Enduros and bingo I am 6ft tall again.

I found that for value for money the Kawasaki KLR 250 was the go. Liquid Cooled 4 stroke plenty of grunt with good tall gears for the road, and at $7500 ride away was a good deal.

So I bought one great fun until I upgrade in 12 months although My girl told me I look like Shrek on a big green bike......but hey you get that
  7. Thanks for your all your replyies

I think I will look out for KLX250R they seem like grouse bikes.