Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Thoughts on a bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by campag, Jul 6, 2008.

1. I've got an opportunity through a good contact to pick up a Yamaha XJ 650 (think it's the 1984 model) for $1,500

It's been well maintained, low kms and rego kept up. I haven't seen it yet.

Any thoughts from the Netrider community about this bike re: handling, performance, upkeep etc etc?

2. Avoid the turbo models - unless that's what you want and are prepared for the extra complication. They're usually thrashed more than average.

You'll get a lot of good info at www.xjbikes.com

It depends on the actual bike you get. Older bikes are very rewarding if they're in basically good nick and you avoid models known to be duds. One of the worst things is electrical problems which are a product of time (and exposure to the elements) as much as high usage, so it's worth checking the state of things under the seat or in the headlamp shell if you can get a look there.

The biggest mistake with older bikes is expecting them to handle and perform like a recent model. By starting with something in reasonable order and a bit of TLC you can have a nice example of the HQ Holden of bikes, but no more. Be wary of overspending.

3. Sounds like a pretty good buy for that money. From what I remember, it was a solid, reliable UJM. Shaft drive is a big plus and tended not to attract the go-fast-boys. Like anything of that age, parts might be a problem.

4. This contact isn't a butcher by any chance is he? I was offered the same thing about 1 month ago as the owner has upgraded.

5. Hi,

I'm a real fan of the early Yamy UJM's.

I owned the little brother of the 650, the XJ550 for a couple of years and found it excellent. A guy I know owned a 650 and it was absolutely bullet proof.

Very reliable bike to choose, just make sure the cam chain isn't rattling. The shaft drive is a real bonus also.

Can't go wrong for that price.

6. H-U-G-E headlight :LOL: :LOL:

7. it's from a truck driver and mechanic, so he's looked after it. I can get assistance from my brother on checking it out and fixing it up, he's pretty much a bike nut and tops on the mechanical side.

Thanks for your comments all. I'll let you know how it works out.